How can I get it through his head that we CANNOT afford christmas this year??

me and my dh are struggling really bad w/ bills. we are 2 months behind rent. and pretty much living paycheck to paycheck barely! I suggested that we draw names for BOTH sides of our families and just buy for the kids [our dd being the main priority] and he was like NOOO! I want to buy for ALL my immediate family! There is no way on this earth we can afford that! What can we do?

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 1:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Holidays

• Can you do homemade gifts? I'm not crafty, but maybe there is a way you can buy things at the dollar store to make into something for everyone?

Or, make a financial list and physically show him it's impossible. He might just need it laid out.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think you are right, you should only buy for your child she is more important. However homemade Christmas cards using you daughters hand print or foot print in it is great low cost way to show family you love them.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• We don't buy gifts for our immediate family because the moment we got married our immediate family was ...ourselves!
    I buy for my niece. and our kids ...and that's it! it may seem unfair but my DH has a very large family. His youngest sister is 3 months younger then our son. If we bought for everyone, we'd be broke. So none of his siblings get gifts, when they have kids, their kids will get gifts.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Tell him STRAIGHT UP its either ur daughter gets nothing and bills go EVEN MORE behind so ALL the family can have something .. Or daughter has a nice xmas,draw names,and catch up on bills! Its simple! He should kno wth to pick!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Family should understand about tight financial times. I wouldn't want my kids spending money on Christmas gifts for me when they couldn't afford their rent!! In fact, as a mom the only gift I need is time with my kids....and hopefully sometime grandkids. If you can make something or bake, great, but never, never, never spend money you don't have on Christmas gifts, it makes the holiday more stressful for you, and would make the people who love you feel bad if they knew.....unless they're terribly selfish people!

Take care, and just enjoy your family this holiday season.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Or make a list of what all her gifts cost..bills..and than add in gifts for his fam..n show him how much ull save just doing gifts for ur daughter!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I agree have the kids make crafty gifts that the family will actually honestly appreciate more; OR do a big batch of holiday baking and make gift tins for everyone...he must be willing to compromise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Show him all your bills and then show him the paycheck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Make cookie baskets, use that time to spend with your husband and children and give each family a dozen cookies, costs very little especially if you go to sam's club etc, and group the people that live under the same roof together, its what i am doing this year we do not have a lot of money either
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 2:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2009