Hair removal - so what is the method you would recommend ?

So when it comes to hair removal, what is the best way to go in your opinion, !!! Especially in relation to an epilator ---- if you've tried it would you reccommend it ?
I had one many years ago, but found it really painful, but was thinking of heading back in that direction. So is anyone going to recommend an epilator ? And creams, has anyone had a bad experience with them ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have never used an epilator, but I use facial hair removal cream by Sally Hansen. It comes with a soothing lotion and it works awesome. I use it for my lip lol but for other areas, I just use a razor. I don't think I could bring myself to wax. It looks too painful! lol Good luck in your search for answers :-)
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 4:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I had an epilator 20 years ago, and after using it a few times, I gave up. Too painful! I haven't tried any of the newer ones. Creams can irritate sensitive skin, and they smell horrible. That said, if they don't irritate your skin and you can stand the smell, go for it. I shave my legs and underarms; it's quick, easy, and works fine for me. Elsewhere, I wax, using cloth strips with the wax already applied. If you want to try them, I only recommend the ones that are not water-soluble and made of cloth for facial hair. The water-soluble ones only work well where there's longer, thicker hair, and the plastic doesn't conform well to your skin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Epilator = torture. I had one, threw it away after one use! I wax and it is wonderful. Takes practice but i can do both legs now in 20 minutes. Hurts for a bit as you pull the strips, but i found it tolerable. Regrowth is softer and slower. Creams never worked for me..I have coarse dark hair (like a gorilla!!!) I even went so far as to do a Brazilian. It was great, but a bit too painful. I just buy Sally Hansen total body wax at Walmart and i'm good for weeks. MUST read directions...follow hair growth, and HOLD SKIN TAUT!! Then exfoliate in shower frequently...I get the occasional ingrown hair.
    char944

Answer by char944 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Thanks for answering, Yes epilator = torture , LOL thats how i remember it, I like the theory, but the reality was brutal. I was toying with the idea that they had improved them and it didnt hurt quite so much. !!! ------ i'm not sure if waxing is all about technique, but i never quite got it right, but then again i havent tried that for years either !!! Maybe things have advanced, and i should give it another go, , That was pretty painful too !!! I always avoided creams because i have sensitive skin, and i feared a bad reaction. I'm not sure whats happenening, but shaving is starting to irritate the skin too. , especially delicate areas. I thought perhaps it was time to buy a new razor, then wondered, what advancements have have happened over the last couple of decades, i was unaware of -- LOL, i still like the epilator in theory
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Waxing is the way to go - at a salon if you can afford it, or at home if you can't.

Answer by missanc at 12:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I really hope to some day just get some laser hair removal done.

The downside to that is:

1) it's expensive, and

2) They say it's best to wait until your done having kids because the hormones of pregnancy can make you grow hair again even if it's been laser removed....so even if I had the money, I'd have to wait for my reproductive days to be over.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2009