what are some ideas for losing weight while breast feeding without affecting my milk supply?

Asked by ambedelyon at 12:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Choose healthy foods - lots of fruits and veggies. And also exercise. If you want to diet Weight Watchers has special rules for nursing moms.

Answer by cafemama at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• There is a book called "Eat well, lose weight while breastfeeding" by Eilenn Behan. I found it to be useful.

Answer by unique_puzzle at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Slowly. That is key.

Weight watchers is a great program that allows for nursing mothers. They give you extra points and with their online program have little boxes that you check when you have had your requirements of each kind of food and water.

I have been doing different routines with a balance ball and switching that up with a bender ball and going jogging.

Portion control is also a biggie. Learn to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied. Learn the difference between "satisfied" and "full". Full means you have overeaten. Hungry means you have not eaten enough. Satisfied is the perfect medium.

Also be sure to keep your protein and fluid intake up. I have noticed for me as soon as those drop so does my milk.

Answer by jaycee1124 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Weight watchers actually has a plan for women who are breast feeding :o)

I'm doing it you should check it out. I've slowly lost 6 lbs. Good stuff. It's not a "diet" any ways it's more just portion control and making you think of what is "best" to eat. 

Answer by 3Guys1Mom at 12:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i shed pounds by just making sure i ate every 2 to 3 hours - eat a cup of vegies or fruit, 2 ounces of meat (this fat will help you from feeling hungry too soon), 1 cup of rice or noodles or 2 slices whole wheat bread with jelly or butter (this will give you carbs for energy and also help you stay full longer).
    even if you feel full at the 2 to 3 hour mark be sure to eat this will keep your metabolism burning the food you intake and working off the fat in your body (if you dont eat at the 2 to 3 hour mark your body will start storing the food it gets cause it feels its recieveing a shortage and you will not loose anyhting)

Answer by vakatia at 1:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• That's right, as the pp's have said - eating healthy and exercise. Your body will still go to some of the fat stores on your body to produce milk. So you only have to be careful of not drastically cutting your calories, you can still eat healthier choices, portion control and exercise. (trust me, I'm a personal trainer!)

Answer by KickButtMama at 1:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Nursing after exercising can make the milk taste sour. It's best to nurse b4 exercising.

Answer by imacafemom at 1:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I went total vegitarian for 3 months and lost 19 pounds! I suggest cutting down on meat and eating more protien in other food sources. Lots of veggies and fruits! Exercise is always good, but eating healthier is always the best! It is okay to eat every hour if you only eat a cup of food at a time.

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I breastfeed my son and am on Weight watchers, have been on it for about 4 months now. I've lost almost 25 pounds so far. It really is an awsome program and I love it. Nothing that I have tried worked until I started Weight Watchers. The best thing about it, is you can really eat anything you want, just make sure you watch your portions and points. I've had Chick-fil-a and other fast foods since I started and still lose the weight, as long as I don't go over my points.

Answer by Rafaelsmom at 2:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Count calories, and pick up activity, it's the best advice I can give. Cut out Soda if you drink it. Up your water (this helps with milk production) Count every calorie you take in everyday for a week, then cut out 500 calories. you'll still get the nutrition you and your baby needs and it's a healthy amount to cut back on to lose weight. it won't be drastic, or wuick, but slow and steady is the best way when BFing.

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 10:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

Next question overall (Health)
How do you get rid of the hiccups?