My daughter is almost 4 and still wearing diapers help

My daughter will be 4 in about 2.5 months and she is still in diapers. The worst part is she can put her own diaper on. Im not talking about pull ups either baby diapers she knows how to put them on herself if that sounds weird i know. I don't know what to do i have tried everything. My husband works all day i work all night she doesn't go to school. I work all night and have her during the day vice versa with him. I mean she will tell us when she has to go potty and she will go sometimes then sometimes she won't but she will not tell us when she has to go poop she will go in her diaper am I doing somthing wrong.

kallieann

Asked by kallieann at 8:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, you continue to buy diapers. She thinks that's normal so she's not even trying. Buy her pretty panties. She won't want to ruin them and she will stop pooping in them. You are teaching her to stay in diapers. If they wear regular panties, it's uncomfortable to pee or poop in them while diapers protect them from the pee running down their leg. It sounds like she's trying to train herself but mom and dad are not listening. Get rid of the diapers.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Put her little butt in regular underwear, unless she has a mental delay there is absolutely no reason why you should have a 4 year old in freakin diapers. That is freakin absurd.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Absolutely NO MORE DIAPERS!
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 9:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I agree with previous posters, do not put diapers on her anymore. That is why she is inconsistent; she knows when she has to go even when she doesn't tell you; put her in panties and throw or give away the diapers. That is the first main step that needs to be taken. Don't switch back and forth or it will be harder.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Put her in regular under wear. Get her a small potty chair, if she is too big for that they make inserts for the regular toilet so that she won't fall in. The first few days or weeks you may need to remind her every 20 - 30 mins and then increase the time as she gets better. Make sure she goes first thing in the morning and right before she goes to bed. If it helps offer her rewards. With DS it used to be stickers and M&M's. He has been potty trained for over ayear now even at night. Just try to keep DH on the same page as to rewards and making sure to remind her especially when she gets involved in playing. Sometimes they tend to forget and that is when they are most likely to have an accident. Best of luck. Hope that helps.
    Anonymous

• no more diapers. wjat are you gonna do once she goes to school. sher is jsut beng stubborn. remember a teahce is not goping to able to watch and class and deal with your daughter. trya reward system. if she does poop in her underware clean her up but dont say anything to her. can you tell whn she has to go poop my dd used to grab her belly know she says my tummy hurts. or i have to poop. try to se if you can find some cues,. does she hide. i had a similiar problem but it was cuz she got cosntipated and she got afraid od the potty for like amonth she had already been fully potty train. persistance is key!! but again al children are different my dd was pottry tain by 24 mts and fully potty tarin(nighttime)by 28 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• just as was getting ready to type an answer a diaper advertisement popped up. how ironic lol. no i agree with the other moms. get rid of the diapers. what my friend mom did for her was took her shopping for underwear they bought two kinds. boring and then ones with cute little characters on them. she told her she could wear the cute ones when she learned to use the potty.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• As far as potty training advice give your daughter the option to change her own diapers and let her stay in diapers if that makes her feel comfortable and happy she could just be responsible her own diapers and let her use the diaper until she feels completely ready and she could even to go to school in diapers because some diapers are made for long use and give her clothes that do not reveal the diaper so no one can tell. Who says that kids can' t use diapers for anything it's just like when you have kids who wet the bed and they are given the pull ups that the kids can change themselves and are not revealing.
    Supermom134

Answer by Supermom134 at 2:29 AM on Sep. 7, 2013