juice

when can i start giving my daughter apple juice and other juices, she is 5 months old. is taht about the right time?

liltexchick

Asked by liltexchick at 10:11 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 21 months old and just started getting juice diluted. It was acai berry juice. He gets water and/or boob juice only normally. IMHO I think 5 months is way too early for sugary juices. At 5 months she should be fed exclusively breastmilk or formula.

...I am curious to see what other Moms say....
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• you can give your baby juice starting at 4 months, 2oz of juice with 2oz of water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Juice isn't necessary, but if you WANT to give it, I'd wait until around the time you start solids. Then I'd offer it VERY diluted, in a sippy cup, at mealtime.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Anytime. I would just offer it in a sippy cup to limit the amount she gets...that way it serves as good incentive to learn a sippy cup and she'll progressively take more and more. Apple and White Grape juice are the most commonly offered juices but they're really considered second rate. Healthier juices are pineapple, vegetable, papaya nectar, orange (although it is too acidic for babies this young...wait until she is over 1). You might also want to consider diluting the juice so she gets less sugar and more water.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• The AAP recommends 4 oz of juice a day (or none) for children 1-6. Babies 4-6 months should only have 4 ounces max a day. There is info on the AAP website about all the hazards of kids drinking juice.

Babies and kids should drink water, like adults, should drink water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• The AAP recommends that you not give juice in a bottle or sippy cup. Juice should be given in an open cup. White grape is the best first juice.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I give my 10 month old son juice, diluted 50/50 with water, as a special treat - like once or twice a month.

Answer by missanc at 11:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2009