How did you react?

ive known that i was attracted to girls for a long time,but ive never told anyone.i think ive made it a bit obvious now and i want to tell my friends before telling my parents.but before i do i want to get a feeling of how they would react.

so heres the big question:
How did your friends or parents react when you told them or how did you react when your child or friend came out of the closet?

AminitaAstray

Asked by AminitaAstray at 10:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My friend.... well it's a guy but in middle school I was like why do you date girls if you are gay, he insisted he wasn't gay. Then in high school he came out and I said "see I told you that you're gay!" If you are obviously gay then it shouldn't be a big suprise to them
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My brother came out of the closet to me in High School. I had known (it was a little blaringly obvious) and was thrilled that he was begining to accept himself! Our friends and I all recieved him very well--- lots of love and support, etc. The kicker for him is that we were raising in a stingently old-school Catholic household and half of the extended family. So, yeah, our mom did not take this well and semi-stopped speaking to him for a while (while we were all living at home). For the record, their is no problem with it now except that its a "taboo" topic between them. Akward, but he's not deeply involved with anyone, so he doesn't mind yet. I'm sure that will be interesting when he meets someone he really is meant to be with, but our friends, cousins, brother, and myself will all be there to stand up for him and his relationship when that time comes.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 10:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• LOL.  My bestfriend sat me down and said "Katrina I need to tell you something".   I said "I already know".   I knew that she wasn't interested in men at all.  Sometimes it's just pretty obvious.  When I first thought she was a lesbian, thats all I thought.  And I wondered when she would trust me enough to actually tell me.  If these people are truly your friend, either they already know, or it won't matter. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My mother was in complete denial... And still is! As for how I acted... "Great, as long as you're loved, I don't judge who you're with"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Well, when my cousin told me she was a lesbian, I was not shocked at all. We all love her just the same. She is still the same person and her partner is an amazing woman that we all like and treat like family. She was worried that we would think badly about her and that is not the case.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Don't be surprised if your family doesn't know how to react at first. You have had a long time to get used to this. Give them some time to come around. I hope everything works out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I've never been in that closet to come out of it, but I have come out of the atheist closet to a few people in the deep south, so I have some idea. I just wanted to wish you luck for when you do it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2009