I always feel like I have a hangover when I wake up in the morning

I DON'T DRINK. When I wake up my eyes are all dry and I have a headache, my body is tired and I just want to go back to bed. WTH is wrong with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think that's part of b'n a mom?...lol... idk..i've got the same prob..lol
    DM-dreamgirl

Answer by DM-dreamgirl at 10:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You have a coffee deficit? :0
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• A hangover is nothing more than dehydration. Drink more water.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Regular exercise, a nutritious diet without lots of sugars and caffeine, a multi-vitamin, drinking plenty of water daily, getting at least 7 hours of sleep per night, and getting out in the sunshine when you can for at least an hour will do wonders.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You need coffee.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• ..I feel that way too....it has turned me into a very crabby morning person !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Don't eat sweets! If you have a dessert or late night snack, make sure it is sugar free. A lot of times if you have something sugary then go to sleep, your blood sugar will spike and then crash. This leaves you feeling lethargic and "fuzzy headed" when you wake up. Sugar requires much more water to process, which would explain why you feel dehydrated. If you absolutely must have a late night snack, make it something healthy with complex carbs and protein. It will digest slower and not spike your blood sugar. The previous post was correct in that you are most likely not drinking enough water. The old "8 glasses per day" is misleading. 8 glasses isn't NEARLY enough in the summer! Double or even triple that. Also, that may be enough for a small woman, but if you are heavy, tall, or just big you need more. If you're nursing or pregnant, you need more. MOST of us just need more! You're not hungover, you're THIRSTY!
    DaniandTom

Answer by DaniandTom at 11:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You might be waking up at the wrong point in your sleep cycle. People don't consider this enough when they have questions like yours. If you interrupt your cycle at the wrong point, your brain doesn't function anywhere near fully, your body is confused and therefor headaches and dizzyness are pretty common, you don't feel "awake" even for hours... It is pretty easy to chalk these things up to not enough sleep, but actually you are more likely to feel this way after 5 hrs of sleep than 4, since sleep cycles tend to go for 2 hrs. However, I also agree with a PP, that it could be dehydration. Try drinking 50 oz of water a day and see if you feel any better.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• have you considered looking into firbromyalgia? I get "hangover" type headaches from the chronic pain in my neck, shoulders and temples. If I wake with one of these headaches I feel super tired, my eyes burn and are squinty, my head POUNDS, my mouth is dry and I am sensitive to light and sound. I have been to a million specialists and this in not a migraine! I notice that when I do wake with these headaches it is often because I have been sleeping with my head too elevated or in an awkward position for too long during the night. This type of chronic pain (muscle tension) does cause dehydration...which lead to the headaches..which leads to stress...which leads to more tension...which leads to sleep disturbance...its a vicious cycle. PM me if you have more specific questions about it. I take meds that help me and do acupuncture once a month.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Talk to your doctor. I agree with the posibility of fibromyalgia. A low dose antidepressant can do wonders for helping some people with fibromyalgia sleep better. You can take is breastfeeding and probably pregnant. It is very low dose.

There are other sleep issues that are easy to resolve and make a big difference in people's lives.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2009