Do you think a SAHM with just 1 kid should be required to keep the house clean every day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think a SAHM needs to see to the children's needs first, then worry about vacuuming, dishes and laundry as the need arises.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I don't think there should be any "requirements" for what a SAHM should do. She should do what works for her family and suits their needs. I would think most of the cleaning would be able to fit into her schedule, but the child(ren) should be her first concern. What if her newborn has colic? I can definitely see that as a situation where she may not be able to clean every day.

Answer by missanc at 12:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• It depends on the age of the child IMO; if the child is in 1st grade or higher in school all day, then it should be presentable for the most part. But if it's a toddler, then no, it wouldn't be a priority at all.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Nobody should be REQUIRED to keep their home clean every day! ;-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• No one is required to do anything. The first priority should be the needs of the child, and then cleaning. Same as with working moms. I worry about my son's health, happiness and education first and then worry about a spotless house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Depends on how old the child is... I think a SAHM should have to do something around the house since she gets to stay at home. I try my best to get things done on the two days I have off during the week while my son is at school, other than that, I go to work, come home to my son and try to squeeze whatever I can into that time. Single moms don't have that luxioury.
    Anonymous

• Required? Who is going to require you?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Well my DH would be really brave to tell me I was "required" to do that. He and I are happy with our arrangement, that's all that matters. Before the baby was born, I went to field trips and parties at the school. WE love that I can do that. I am a SAHM and I have a three month old son home right now. My older boys are in 2nd and 4th grade. They have their chores when they get home, and sometimes I let them take the baby in the playroom to watch tv so I can finish vacuuming and such. If all my kids were in school, it'd be easier to clean, but that's not my situation. I wouldn't ever tell DH he was required to do something, so he's not telling me either. Do whats best for you and your family.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Who will check up on you? This is a free country (as of today). Your version of clean is probably not the end all, be all to clean. Asking a question like this makes you sound like an a snob. I don't know the house, the person, or the child, but if it is just "messy", get over it. You live your life your way and let them live their lives their way.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think that if you stay home you should shoulder the responsibilities of maintaining the home, and the welfare of the child(ren)

I am a SAHM of three kids, and manage to keep the house clean. its not spotless but its clean.

Anonymous