Gays in the military....not being funny, really do wonder.......

Ok, so you have barraks and bathroom facilities on deployments for men and women. You do this for a REASON, the women do not want to be ogled by men when they are naked in the shower or peeing or even just changing grubby clothes. SO, if you make this change openly, does the gov't then need to step up and require seperate sleeping/bathing quarters for the gays? This isn't a hate question. and I am not nieve enough to think that there arent already gays there (duh) but what is the difference between a woman not being comfortable with someone who is turned on by women seeing them naked and a Man being unconfortable in the same situation? It doesn't make the man homophobic any more than it makes a woman straitaphobic?! What do you think about this logistical side of changing things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Buck up and deal with it. Just because you might know someone's gay now definitely does not mean they're attracted to you, and just like you, most of the time when it's finally time to shower they're probably going to be too exhausted to really care what you look like.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 12:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• What do you think about this logistical side of changing things?

Seeing as how there are ALREADY gays and lesbians in every branch of the armed forces, and have been for years? This isn't saying gays can be in the military, it's saying they can come out of the closet while they're there. They've been there as long as there's been a military.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• So, YOU wouldnt mind if men took showers with you at say..the gym. You would just "buck up and deal" I mean, its night like they all want to jump you!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I mean, its night like they all want to jump you!

Sorry your husband doesn't have any self control to lead you to think that's a reasonable situation.
    Anonymous

• sorry...hit too soon.....in answer to the op....I think this could be a problem. I dont care if they are gay or not in the military and I dont think they should be FIRED for being gay, but the barracks and the shower could be an issue. I think, in the end, it would probably bother women less, but if it bothered even one why is a gay persons comfort more important then a straight persons. You know. I think separate or at least well sectioned off showers would probably be a need.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think separate or at least well sectioned off showers would probably be a need.

Should they have separate drinking fountains too?
    Anonymous

• Isn't part of military service giving up a great deal of your personal comfort for the security of our nation? My BIL is in the service and has to do things that aren't glamorous all the time. But this is a choice he made that our family is very proud of. For a service person to complain about his or her shower situation is like a mom complaining about toys on the living room floor. I chose kids, I deal with it. Service men and women chose their career. Both are courageous acts. I look forward to a future where service people are duly compensated for their work.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

Like the other poster said, sorry your SO or spouse doesn't have enough self control for you to understand that's not how most people function.

No, I wouldn't mind taking showers with men. I'm there to shower, not to get turned on and have sex.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 12:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Ok Anon...why dont we be ridiculous. Being uncomfortable being NAKED in front of someone who may or may not see you sexually and drinking out of the same water fountain or two completely diff things. Arguments like that don'thelp anyone and only make you look silly and lack credibility.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Being uncomfortable being NAKED in front of someone who may or may not see you sexually and drinking out of the same water fountain or two completely diff things. Arguments like that don'thelp anyone and only make you look silly and lack credibility.

LOL really - how about addressing my point. Service men and women are taking showers with gay people. Right now. Today. While you read this. Somewhere at some base there is a straight person and a gay person together in a room naked with each other. And amazingly, the gay person is not overcome by lust and raping anyone! Isn't it amazing?????
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009