How does your religion view Mary the Mother of Jesus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics think she's a pretty special lady.
    Anonymous

• Muslims know and believe she is a pretty special lady. She was chosen to be the mother of the Messiah. We believe her to be most complete woman in religion /obedience to God. She was a virgin. She was a believer. She was dedicated to the worship of the Creator. She bore Jesus after having been given the news of a son without a father. She has an entire chapter in the Quran dedicated to Her story. We do not worship her, nor ask her for anything. We do not pray to her. We simply acknowledge her and the role God gave her and the special place she holds in the life of Jesus Christs, Son of Mary Messiah of the World.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• She was very blessed to be chosen by God to bare the Messiah.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• As a Pagan, there is no standard view on this. But as a Pagan, I view her as the closest figure in Christian mythology to the Great Mother and/or archetypal Divine Feminine.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• That she was blessed, she was chosen to carry God's son and helped to bring this chain of events to where we can all be saved *at least have the chance to* by carrying and birthing our messiah. But I also believe that she had other children as the bible clearly states and that she isn't in heaven, I believe she is just waiting for God's return.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Well, if what was supposedly written by Josephus is actually Josephus's work and not edited...then I don't see it being far fetched that this woman Mary birthed Jesus of Nazareth. As far as her being a Virgin, as romantic as the Virgen de Guadalupe's image is I don't buy it. Her story though, like isabellalecour said is the Christian mythology of the Great Mother, Isis is another good example.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When Mary visited Elizabeth during her pregnancy, Elizabeth said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb." And Mary even said, "all ages will call me Blessed."
    So we call her the Blessed Mother.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009