Lock your doors kids-we are going to church

If you go to church do you lock your car doors while you are inside?

When I was a young kid we went to church. We asked our grandpa if we should lock the car doors. He said now how much sense does that make we are in a church parking lot. We laughed and left the doors unlocked. A few months later, the church, that was always unlocked to allow people to pray, was robbed. The priest chalice and several other items were stolen.

Now I lock my doors AND there is a security car in the church parking lot while we are in Mass.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We lock our car doors everywhere, even in our driveway, so yes we do.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• just because its holy ground to some, doesn't mean its holy to others, so it is best to lock your doors everywhere.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• whitear,

I remember when I could walk into a Catholic church anytime of the day and pray. Adoration wasn't always available but I was able to find a quiet place to pray. The other day, at 1am I had some issues come up and I really wanted out of this house. I left with no cell phone jsut me and God. I went to a Catholic Church that had 24 hour adoration. All the doors were locked. The next day I went to the church(not my parish church) I needed a code to get in! I got the code and I hope I don't need a midnight get away again, but it is nice to know I have one. I plan to go to adoration at least once a month just so I can keep up with the new code.
    Anonymous

• I think that's really sad. I don't think there is a church open 24 hours near me, I could get in any time during the day because there's always somebody in the rectory (at least during business hours) but other then that I can't just stop in any time.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 1:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• LOCK YOUR DOORS!!!

People target cars parked at churches. We have security gaurds that patrol the parking lot, and it still happens.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• lock the doors.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Some people purposely take advantage of people's feelings of safety in church and use it to their advantage. I mean, think about it. They know that once the few late stragglers go into the church they are practically guaranteed to have a certain amount of time where no one will come out to the parking lot The entire congregation will be otherwise occupied. What a "perfect" time to rob not one car but several! Definitely lock you doors!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My doors lock automatically.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My old job leased parking places from other businesses since they didn't have room for everyone. The people who had spaces at the church were broken into more than the people at the lot off an alley across the street.
    Anonymous

• I always lock my doors- no matter where I am. It's just a reflex.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2009