Did any of you convert to Christianity(any denomination) and have your family upset?

My husband was raised Christian and he converted to the Catholic Church. His family acts as if this didn't happen. I mean literally, they act as if he is not Catholic and if my kids bring up church they get glassy far away looks in their eyes as if they are trying to block out the words.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We were Catholic and converted to Christians (yes I know most Catholics will say they are Christian but, I was not. Nor was my DH who was raised Catholic). We have become the outcast of our families because they are still Catholic. I'm very much happier right now and at this point all I can do is minister to them through words and actions.

Anonymous

• your attitude is kind of the horrible attitude that my husband's family has. Now he is not Christian anymore. Instead of being happy he left a religion that in the last 20 years he has only stepped in that Church twice they pretend he doesn't go to church at all.

When he was "Christian" he was an alcoholic/drug addict junkie who cared more about his booze than his kids. He started going to Mass and asked about getting the kids baptised. Instead of being happy their son found his path they pretened it didn't happen. I guess they would rather "Christain" with drunk and high to Catholic and sober. Who knows what goes on in their minds...
    Anonymous

• when I became a jehovah's witness, a few family members stopped talking to me and i never heard from them again. but for the most part the ones that truly love me are the ones that are still in my life and are ok with me changing religions.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• something similar happened to a friend of mine. he used to abuse cocaine and would cheat on his wife every chance he could, then one day something happened and he started studying the bible became a jw and now his family doesnt want anything to do with him. his friends all left him. they thought he was going to have to give up his money, he was very generous with them. now he's happy, his family is together, sober for 12yrs now and is very successful in his business. most importantly he has God in his life.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• proudmamma, I just don't understand it. Be happy for him. Furthermore be happy for him without having to put down either religions. I am glad your friends is doing better and his family is strong.
    Anonymous

• i am happy for him and i didnt put down any religion. i'm saying that his friends and family abandoned him when he became a jw. he did not practice any religion. he grew up catholic but didnt go to church much.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Sorry, I didn't mean you put down any religion :)
    Anonymous

• I read that again, I was saying his family should be happy for him without putting down religion. I wasn't talking to you directly That did come out wrong.
    Anonymous

• no problem, his family is nice, but not very tolerant. and he's sooo nice now, he wasnt very nice before and his wife's family only loves him because he has money.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My parents were sort of that when they found out they had an atheist daughter. I didn't become an atheist, I had always been one, but was too scared to tell them that all through my childhood. Both of them were in denial until the days that they died. I was repeatedly told to not be ridiculous, that I was not an atheist...I was just angry at god for whatever reason or other, and would grow up and get over it. You can't make people accept who you are...they either will or they won't; and some people are so tied up in some aspects of identity, they can only accept who they need you to be in their minds. All you can do is deal with that (and hope they come around eventually) or walk away.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009