How to potty train my 3yr old

My boyfriend's kid is 3 1/2 yrs old and he refuses to use the potty even though he knows how. How can i break him of this habit?

ladyhawk2_15

Asked by ladyhawk2_15 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• honestly, with potty training I firmly believe the kid HAS to want it....I can tell you my trick but that doesn't mean its going to work. lol I was a SAHM when I was potty training my DD and she would go when SHE wanted to. I let her run around naked!! We had quite a few accidents but she would be able to stop and go sit on the potty. Then after about 2 days she was actually able to realize when she had to go and just did it herself. It took about a week total but it was so much easier then me asking her, her hiding, and we skipped the whole frustration process-which both of us would've experienced! On the other hand....I do hear boys and girls are different...my nephew wasn't fully potty trained until 4 1/2!!
    lynda_dora

Answer by lynda_dora at 9:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• my friends aunt didn't potty train her kids til they were 4. then one day she would tell them the diaper fairy came and took your diapers now you have to use the potty. it worked for her.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• This is what worked for my son: The most succesfull tactic was to make it a RACE!!
    1. A large green poster paper hung up in full view of the toilet and a load of different stickers. It was visually exciting.
    2. We also made a pretty big deal about it when he went 1 or 2 even if he just tried.
    3. We had 'Potty Parades'......everyone (bro sis hub,even the dogs cause they follow all the excitment) in the house meet my boy at the bathroom, we put Grayson on my hubbys shoulders or hold hands and paraded him around and singing songs likes **"Who is a big boy? Grayson is, Grayson is! Who usd the big boy Potty? Grayson did, Grayson did!!" **
    4 .If he wont get on the potty tell him "Ohhh,he BETTER not get on the potty, you better not Mr;) ( in a playful voice, reverse psychology)
    5. If that gets him on the toilet then in a sing/song voice (it might be graphic) 'Push it out, Push it out waaay
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 12:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• With any kid in my opnion, if they are ready they will do it, you shouldn't spend all your money on these so called "potty train your kid in 24 hrs" I think that is a bunch of horse pooh....if the kid is ready to potty train he or she will. my 5 yr old didn't start potty training till he was 3, my 3 yr old is fully potty trained, and he did it on his own with a little bit of encouragment, positive reinforcement and several months he was done. Again he will have the occasional accidents, like he did in Church yesterday but that is ok, he's still new to it...Give you kid(s) time DO NOT force or pressure them into it and don't waste money, I firmly belive in pull ups...that gives some kids allot of independence my 3 yr old refused to wear diapers and was happy to go into pullups...so...good luck...
    Corbysmommie08

Answer by Corbysmommie08 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My son was not ready to 3 years and 2 months. We decided after not having success at 2 to wait. It worked. He came to us and we potty trained really quickly. For him he had to want to do it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2009