Public schools

Since we are tyring to keep religion out of the public school system is it ok for my daughter to wear a t-shirt that list the top 10 reasons to be Catholic? She is in public highschool

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• as long as there isnt anything in the handbook that says no religious clothings, i dont see a problem with it :)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Yeah, check the dress code.
    Anonymous

• Generally personal expression of students is allowed (excpet for Satanists) & such shirts are permitted. However, a few schools have written into their dress code a no religious statements or symbols clause to just avoid problems.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• nothing in the dress code, but I guess our schools are not so religious free.
    Anonymous

• its sad that satanist aren't allowed to "represent" their religion in school. i know the high school i went to, i was but only because i put up a fight to be able to do so :)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I used to wear satanic shirts to school, and they only made me turn it inside out when the shirt had the f-word on it.

I think it should be fine to wear a shirt like that, but check with the school so she doesn't get embarassed. At the school I taught at, students were allowed to wear religious shirts, even with scriptures on them.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Out kids are allowed to wear satanic and pagan shirts and nobody bats an eyelash--the Christian ones are the ones that get people miffed.

I know my son wore a shirt with some pagan star or something like that. I never knew or cared what it meant cause I know he didn't think of it as a belief . He just liked the band that had they symbol. Now, when he pulled out a bible verse shirt things got a little dicey.
    Anonymous

• At my high school I was told I had to take my "Satanist T-shirt" off & wear my gym shirt for the day - I was wearing an AC/DC concert T-shirt!
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• LOL nysa00
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• LOL Cinnamon-mom! Our school used to make kids either turn their shirt inside out or change too. I always thought that was stupid because then everyone would go out of their way to try to read the inside out shirt just to see how "bad" it was. It just drew more attention to it.

Like most everyone else said, check the school dress code. That written dress code will be your best defense if anyone has an issue with it. If there's nothing in the dress code and my kids wanted to wear it, I'd support them 100%. Heck, who am I kidding? I'd support them 100% even if it WERE forbidden in the dress code, and don't even send my kids to school for that matter, so maybe I'm not the best person to get advice from on this one! LOL
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009