baby food help?????

i am giving my baby fruits and he is doing great but i have read that he needs to be eating the cereal first i did try it but he does not like it off the spoon he likes it in his bottle so is it ok to be feeding him baby food instead of the cereal???? or should i mix the two together??? also how many times do i feed him the baby food?????

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 1:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can mix them together. Or do fruits and veggies. You shouldn't put cereal in his bottle.
    Anonymous

• It all depends on if you are still breast feeding or using formula. There are unfounded studies out saying that babies need more iron after 6 month (if you are BF only) but formula already has iron in it. BF is the best way to get your baby what it needs up until its first birthday. So, you don't NEED to do anything. One reason babies hate eating off a spoon is because they do not have the skills to use their tongue to push food around which then stimulates the reflex to swallow. So, if take a spoon full off goo and slide it to the back of the throat and bypass the reflex it takes longer for the reflex to strengthen and it takes away the will of the child to eat how and when they want. If you are no longer supplementing your child (BF or formula) then they do need to find other sources of nutrition and cereal is a good one. There is a great book out called Baby Led Weaning, i would check it out. Hope this helped!!!
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 1:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I'm with pp - you shouldn't put cereal in his bottle. Mix some fruit in with the cereal, that's how my son liked it. And all 4 of my kids liked the oatmeal better than the rice. But it doesn't really matter what order you introduce foods in. I fed my kids food three times/day at "normal" meal times so they could get used to eating with the family. My youngest is now 10 months old and has been eating what we eat when we eat for 2 months now, with snacks in between of course.

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My kids didn't really care for cereal, so I would mix it in the stage one. But still left it runny. It isn't a big deal. Just work up to all the food groups in a day. You could try the fruit flavored cereal.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• DS gets cereal in his bottle for reflux so i just skipped it when we started baby food. So far he likes everything but bananas.

his twin sister gets cereal in her bottle for reflux also, she is not ready for solids (tried with cereal mixed with formula so it was quite runny and she still could swallow it so were waiting til later to try with her)
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You don't HAVE to use cereal if you don't want to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2009