Not sure how to handle my son stole something

My 8 year old stole something from another student in his class. He was caught and amitted to doing it. His teacher took away his recess. I made him write 100 times I will not steal, and made him write an apology to the teacher and the child he stole from.
Is there anything else I should do?

mommamelba

Asked by mommamelba at 1:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that sounds good enough for the first time
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You should have made him apologise to them in person. Face to face. 

Answer by louise2 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• As louise2 said make him apologize to them face to face along with the written apologies.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Nope sounds appropriate. Why do you think he stole it, I would ask him and take to him about that as well.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think you pretty well covered it, except maybe for finding out why he did it to begin with. I think what you did was pretty appropriate for a first timer. If he does it again, then you'll need to go beyond. My 8 yr old did it several times when he was in kindergarten, in the end, I resorted to frisking him like a cop would, taking some play handcuffs and putting them on him, and then going to the walk in closet and stepping in with him and saying, "This is where they put grown ups who steal. In a room this big, with pretty much this same view. Is this where you want to end up?" That got the message across. And before anyone can jump on me, I did NOT leave him in the closet.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• no you covered it... but warn him that if he does it again the punishment will be harsher...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2009