Potty training

My daughter will be 2 at the end of November. I'm not sure if I should start potty training. Today we put her in only underwear and she peed all over my husband (lol). She doesn't like to keep dirty diapers on, but doesn't tell us if she needs to go. What do you think?

SuzyQ515

Asked by SuzyQ515 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's a perfect age. In my opinion, if you wait till your child shows all the "readiness signs" that are so popular these days, you may miss a good window of opportunity. Shortly after two, power struggles start playing a bigger role in your relationship. My daughter trained at 19 months. She'd hide when she was about to poop in her diaper, but if she even noticed when she peed, she didn't let on. We told her she was going to start using the potty, got her a potty chair (and a ring, which she ended up liking better but we didn't even try it at first), and a whole bunch of undies. The next day, diapers were gone. We left her in a shirt and undies, and she had about 15 pee pee accidents that first day. We'd rush her to the potty every time she started to pee, and remind her that pee goes there. We'd reward her every time even a little landed there. Day 2, 7 accidents. It took about a week before we were accident free.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• (Previous poster)-- ps: we just trained her for daytime. She wore a diaper for naps and bedtime. We didn't want to mess with her sleep. Now she's 28 months old, and I can't remember her last daytime accident (probably over 2 months ago, around when we moved), but she does still sleep in a diaper. We may start working with her for naptime and see how that goes...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• well you ahve to know if she ready, if she doesnt tell you the no she is not ready. can you tell when she has to go. can she undress herself. my dd was potty train by 24 mts. we started slow at 18 mts and we just went casual . sheis 31 mts now and fully potty train.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2009