help please with laptop question

so im looking to buy this laptop on ebay. i dont knwo much about them and this is my first laptop. heres a link of what it is, i wanted to know if anyone can tell me if i can go wireless internet on it? if so do i just buy one of those wireless network cards? thansk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330364857686&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Technology

• Well the newer laptops have a button or switch to turn wireless on or off. Mine does. Im not sure about this one though. If it doesnt a wireless card can usually be purchased through your net provider.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Be very careful buying a laptop on ebay. You will not have a warranty, the option to purchase a warranty, or any tech support. If you have kids and a laptop, you really need a warranty with accidental coverage.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I personally would check out best buy
    My husband and I were there the other day and found some very very nice laptops for 350
    They can help you with all your problems and questions there too.
    countrygirls422

Answer by countrygirls422 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I have always had a lap top and only once did I purchase one online thru a co. that reburbishes them... it was a good one, but it did not have wireless opts to it tho at the time was ok since my area was still wire-less..
    I would recommend going to best buy or go thru Dell... all current lap tops are now wireless opts and can be switched on and off with a button on your keyboard...
    If you still intend to buy this one try to find out if it has wireless opts to it... and the age... older pc's tend to need more maintance work done to them...
    Also with a new laptop you get a warrenty or other type of accident coverage with it...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• Don't buy a laptop from ebay. You can get nothing but junk and are taking a big risk.

I recommend getting a new DELL computer or laptop.

They have the best warranty's available in the business...and a computer is ONLY as good as it's warranty.
    (Since all of the internal parts are made by the same few companies and the manufacturers just slap their name on them!)

PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 11:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2009

• I love how people just tell you not to buy from ebay, rather than answering your question.

If you want to purchase a laptop through ebay or any other used computer suppliers, that is your decision. Just be smart, read the descriptions thoroughly, and check out the seller feedback before purchasing.

Any laptop that you buy you will be able to add a wireless adapter to, if it does not have one built in. If wi-fi is built-in, the seller would probably list that in the description. If nothing is listed about wi-fi, I would assume that there is nothing built-it for wifi. For anywhere from $20 to $50, depending on what stores are near you, you can buy a wifi adapter which will allow you to connect your laptop to a wireless network. Depending on the laptop, you will need either a PCI card or a USB one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Not sure of your budget but check out http://www.bestbuys.com/   www.hp.com  and http://www.frys.com / No eBay not for computers there is www.hsn.com and they offer flex pay.

Help707

Answer by Help707 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• More than likely, that specific laptop will not have wireless within it, you will need to purchase a wireless card to slip into the slot on the side.

You've received good advice here, all around, so I can't really add anymore.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2009