Face Book for an almost 9 year old??

My MIL told my son who will be 9 next month that Facebook Farm friends is so much fun and he should ask me to open an account for him. She likes to make it out like "all the kids are doing it!!". She pointed out that my hubs cousin lets her 12 year old on it and they play all the time. - I said NO.
I am wondering, how many of your kids are on Facebook??
___________________________

jalex

Asked by jalex at 2:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• none of mine. they are not allowed. the only computer time mine get are at the library in the children's section where they have the computers locked down except for pre approved sites, at school and at home with my dh or i sitting next to them. the computers in their rooms are not connected to Internet, they are for games and school work only.

It may sound harsh because normally i am a pretty easy going mom but i just don't feel my kids need it yet, they also don't have cell phones and yes all my friends think i am nuts.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Both..but they are 23 and 26. My granddaughter came home from FIRST grade with a note from another students parent asking for all the kids to 'friend' her son on facebook. NOT!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• In first grade? OMW that is nuts!
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• facebook for a 9 year old??? NO! there is an age limit anyways!!! you can only be so young to get an account so then you guys would have to lie about his age...i had a myspace and a facebook when i was 16, i wouldnt do it.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• no.

My 15 yr old does and we montor it and she had to hve us and her grandmother as friends.
    My 12 yr old is asking and he has to wait until 8th grade... for him there is a particular girl we will monitor and not allow as his friend... she is litterally dangerous.

We require ALL passwords.
    Anonymous

• it says on faceboom you have to be 13 to open an account
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• No, not acceptable. Way too young, even by Facebook's guidelines.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I guess I'm the bad Mom. I set up an account for my daughter. I have all of the securities up so that she has to know the person before they can find her (they have to have email address and name). The only ones she has on her friends list is her teachers and friends of mine. She showed some interest in the farm game I had and I set it up for myself but once she saw the game she liked it and wanted to do it. She's enjoyed talking to some of her teachers on there and we've had absolutly no interaction with strangers. When her farm has to go to the market to sell her stuff, I'm right there, I do that to make sure she sees no foul language, runs across no perverts and doesn't give anyone any information such as real name, where she lives etc.
    She doesn't know her password, so she can't even log on without me there to do it for her so I'm fully aware of everything that's happening on that site.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My sil just lets her kids play farm town on her account instead of setting up their own. They are 10 and 12.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I allow my children to have an account that I control with all the privacy there is.They are never left alone on the computer but they can still chat with ONLY our family members whom I have accepted. Some of the games are really fun. These sites only get out of hand if you allow them too. My children are not allowed to change ANYTHING without discussing it with myself or my husband first.
    HawaiianMami79

Answer by HawaiianMami79 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2009