Why do so many straight people

assume that if there is a gay person in the room, they gay person will be attracted to the straight person?

Sure, it's possible, but in all this debate over who might be uncomfortable in the military - isn't it far more likely that it's going to be a straight woman seducing the married straight men in the mess tent than a gay man is going to get a straight man to completely change his sexuality during 2 minutes in the shower with 30 other guys? If someone is going to oogle your husband, isn't it far more likely to happen while he's outside sweating for hours, than in a dark and steamy room, again, for 2 minutes?

And if someone is going to risk all the homophobes around them beating them to a bloody pulp by admitting to being gay, isn't it more likely they are doing that so they can openly date the person they are ALREADY in a relationship with?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ego is the only thing I can think of. As far as being comfortable at work what if someone is uncomfortable around people of other ethnicity's or religions? It's impossible to pander to everyones comfort and get the job done so those who are uncomfortable need to suck it up and do their job.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Because they think they're irresistibly gorgeous and everyone wants their naughty bits. Ha!

Seriously, I have no idea why. It also baffles me why people have to equate homosexuality to
    only sexual behaviour. Like that's all gay people think about and do and all day, everyday. It's
    ridiculous. I wish so bad to see the look on the faces of people against gay folks when they find
    out just how many gay people are actually a part of their lives. Dry cleaners, bus boys, chefs,
    business partners, etc... What a KODAK moment!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• It's not a matter of seduction, it's a matter of comfort. It's obvious, and rightly so that a gay person is going to be more open about being Gay, and the straight people who don't want to Feel uncomfortable at work have that right too. Both parties have a right to be comfortable, don't you agree?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

damn best answer yet, everyone should be able to be comfortable while they are at work and who they are working with. but we know that will never ever happen. and just because you work with a gay person doesnt mean that they care that your straight. just do the damn job and get it done!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I wonder If the argument would be going the same way If the military announced that they were going to force women to shower in front of men?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• But loving, I've frequently worked with men that have shown sexual interest in me, and I don't find them attractive. Many I found outright revolting.

Frankly, having a woman lust after me is no different than having a man lust after me. As long as they (either sex) don't step over the boundary into sexual harassment, I'm fine with it.

BTW, how comfortable is a closet gay when a person of the opposite sex makes a pass at them? Maybe if ALL people regardless of sexual orientation would be respectful, this wouldn't be an issue.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I don't give a crap who I shower in front if, as long as they don't leer or harass me. However, I'm a bit of a nudist, and modesty has never been my strong point. :-)
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Agreed, NP. Nicely done.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• LOL... it is just wishful thinking on the straight persons side!
    Anonymous

• I don't understand it either! It drives me crazy! I think that everyone should be allowed to be who they are and love who they want and it if someone else if uncomfortable then that's THEIR problem....they shouldn't be uncomfortable (as long as the very clear line is not crossed!) If people weren't so homophobic there wouldn't be an issue. If a women hit on me I would say "sorry not interested but, thanks anyway" and that would be the end of it.

Anonymous