Breastmilk in short supply

My baby girl is about 3 months old and a few weeks ago I noticed that I would feed her and she would take pretty much everything I had, and still be hungry. I had to start supplementing with formula, which I didn't want to do. But now I am worried that my milk will dry up. I really want her on breast milk but I would have to have her on me all day just to get her satisfied. That wouldn't be a problem if I was okay not doing anything around the house and not working. Does anyone have any tips on how to increase my milk supply?

StarrTiger

Asked by StarrTiger at 2:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• www.motherlove.com -- get a galactalogue. I use the "More Milk Special Blend." works like a charm!
    Anonymous

• Best way to fix this: lose the formula. She hit her 3 month growth spurt. Put her to the breast and leave her there. If she cries, put her back on. You're never empty. Breasts are factories, not storage units. Make sense?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Also, leave the house work for someone else and pump when you're at work. When you're at home you nurse. That's it, It shouldn't take too long to fix.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Welcome to the three month gorwoth spurt. She's supposed to be always hungry right now. Just leave her at the breast...the milk is made WHILE you nurse. If you don't leave her at the berast you'll havea true problem rather than the perceived one you have right now.

Fussy baby = good for supply. Leave her at the breast. This will pass. And then happen again at another interval divisible by three!

You don't have a shortage at all. Really. ONLY sign of a shortage is when you stop changing dipes.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Man, I type too fast sometimes!

One more thing. If you're working out of the home, pump as much as you can and leave her at the breast in a sling when you're home. This WILL pass in a day or two if you leave her at the breast all day just as she wants. Housework can wait. Dad can cook. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I just feel so lazy and everything, dad is a better cook than me anyway. lol. Thanks ladies I will really do my best to not give her a bottle, even if I think she needs it. Wish me luck and strength here, send milk producing vibes my way.
    StarrTiger

Answer by StarrTiger at 4:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• yeah 3 mth groth spurt get ready cuz at 6 mts they hit another one. oh eat oatmeal. drink plenty of fluids!! and as the ladies say mothers milk tea!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• *milk vibes* Just count diapers. You want to see 6-8 wet and/or dirty in 24 hours.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• #1 DROP the supplements, immediately.
    #2 Nurse on demand.

Your supply will adjust. Listen to Gdiamante, she knows her stuff. The only thing you are doing wrong is questioning your supply, and supplementing when it was not really needed. This is easy to fix.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2009