My 5 month old has decided to quit sleeping at night, what can I do?

My 5 month old has been doing great at sleeping through the night up until a week ago. She will wake up often and cry. If I try to let her just lay in the crib she will cry and then screaming. If I hold her she will go right to sleep and sleep just fine but I don't want to start this habit. I've tried everything I can think of but nothing is working. Any suggestions?

littlefoot828

Asked by littlefoot828 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 5 months? Do you think she could be teething yet and her gums are hurting and preventing her from sleeping the night through? Is she cold when you pick her up? She might like the warmth of your body to get her back to sleep so maybe an extra layer at night. Hungry too? Could also be a growth spurt, mines 4 1/2 and is now doing the same, I usually try all these three things and one of them usually works.
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 4:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• This is quite normal; they change their sleep patterns many times in year one and it's best not to get too used to anything. **smile**

Most likely teething. Teething tablets will help. And there is NOTHING WRONG with what you're already doing. She will learn to sleep in her own...they all do without parents needing to do anything but follow the baby's cues. For now, she needs to make sure she's safe and that's what you're doing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2009