Why do women think other women should get jobs once their kids are grown and in school?

I personally think that if they're doing well financially it's not that big of a deal for the woman to continue "Staying at home" because even though the kids are raised or in school doesn't mean they still don't need help from time to time. Plus it doesn't mean the wife is going to eat bon bons all day and watch "One Life to Live". I hope to continue being a housewife so I can help out my children when needed and so I can indulge in some hobbies that I'm currently putting off for my children. I also would love to serve the community and be a big part of that. I don't like that people think it's "lazy" of me to do that.

I wish my mom could be a housewife now. She's even said that whenever one of us kids is going through a tough time or just had a baby or something that she wishes she didn't have to work so she could be the one helping us. As it is she's too busy with work to influence our lives in that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• my mom was a sahm while I was in elementary school. she got a divorce when I was in middle school and went back to work when I was in high school. Let me tell you that there is a TON of crap a teenage girl can do between 3-6. I think if you can choose to stay home it is VERY important to be there during the teenage years. That is when the temptation is the greatest.

I am a sahm and will be until the last one is out of high school... by then hubby will be able to retire so ... I guess this is it for me
    Anonymous

• Because, in today's society, you are only worth the amount of cash you bring into the family. It's kind of sad. My mom was a SAHM my entire life except for a year and a half while I was in high school. She took a part time job, I think, more out of boredom then anything.
    She worked until the week before I was born in 1976 and then quit her job, worked that bit in the early 90s and then not again until she died in 2000 (at the age of 51). It was nice knowing she was always home if I needed her, even in college (she even dropped everything to drive 8 hours and pick me up over the Easter holiday after my boyfriend broke up with me then drove me back 2 days later).
    I don't plan on getting a job once my kids are all in school (youngest starts K in 2 years) unless we need the money. I don't want to work. I'm tired enough just dealing with the kids and house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I do believe that the reason why kids are so out of control is because the mom is out of the house...Kids can do whatever they want and knowing they won't get caught.....I knew I had til 5pm to have any fun I needed to have....or if it was her day off there was always somebodies else's house to go to.
    I am a sahm to my teen girls.....they can't do much because I'm always around
    Anonymous

• Yeah - I'm a SAHM and that's all I plan to be. My mom has always been a SAHM and now she's a SAHGM (stay at home grandma) so she can keep my kids when I have an appointment or one of my cousins. She's a great source of support to me.
    When I was in highschool all of my friends who's moms worked got into all kinds of trouble in the afternoons - I couldn't because my mom was home!

Answer by missanc at 3:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Cuz they don't have anything going on in there life so they have to stick there nose were it don't belong, I think those should stop worrying about other peoples lives and start making there family a little better.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• i don't worry about it, but if you're on food stamps and not on disability for something that keeps you from working it's not fair to live off of other's, that is lazy
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I dont' think there's anything wrong with it provided you still enjoy being home when the kids are off ot school. I think I'll be bored sick once there are no kids home so hope to work part time and be home by the time the kids come home from school.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• because they don't know how to mind their own business
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• i think she should do as she pleases. am a sahm but am looking for a parttime job. once my 2 kids are both in school am going back to work!! i will go insane staying home with nothig to do.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Because, in today's society, you are only worth the amount of cash you bring into the family. It's kind of sad.

Agreed. People are too wrapped around the value of money and nothing else.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009