newborn questions

I have a 2 week old and I'm a first time mom and I'm freaking out about everything! lol

So I have a few questions for you guys :)

1. She gets lots of eye boogers, green crusty ones and her eyes are always watering. is this okay? does it mean she's sick or anything?

2. Her breathing gets heavy, she kind of pants really fast...should I be concerned or is that just a normal baby thing? She also makes this high pitched squealing sound sometimes...almost sounds like she's having trouble breathing...she doesn't do it often.

3. She has been constipated for the past two days...is there anything I can do for her? Should I call the pediatrician?

That's all...lol

Thanks girls!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call the doctor, ask them to recommend a book about newborn care as well. make sure you write down the title of the book so you can go purchase it.
    Anonymous

• Question 1 - it's okay for eye boogers...if it's a constant thing - maybe see if she has a clogged eye duct?
    Question 2 - it's normal..I freaked with my newborn and thought I was losing my mind because I was panicked all the time. It's ok :)
    Question 3 - I'm not sure about the constipation - does she eventually go?
    I would get a book - it does help calm the nerves...I always thought I was going to "break" my son lol.
    SuzyQ515

Answer by SuzyQ515 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• 1 - it's probably a clogged tear duct, should clear up on it's own, if it doesn't by the time she's one or so the dr will open it. To care for it - use a warm damp washcloth or cotton ball and wipe it gently

2 - the breathing is normal

3 - the constipation - are you bfeeding or formula? I'm assuming formula, since most bfed babies don't get constipated - talk to the dr, may have to switch formulas

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• 1- Very normal. Babies tear ducts don't need to work in the womb so they need a little time to find a homeostasis between overactive and underactive. If you are breast feeding you can always squirt some milk into them and massage (it cleared up my daughters eye problem is less than a day).
    2- The last thing to form in babies is the lungs and like any muscle in the body it needs to be used and strengthened to work best.
    3- Feel her stomach, if it feels really hard take her in ASAP it could mean bowel obstruction but if her muconium is gone and her stomach is soft she should be ok. If she is breast fed only she may just be using everything in the milk and has no left overs. They grow so fast, they need everything in your milk. It can be normal to go over 5 days sometimes without a BM for BFed babies.
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 3:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• 1. She gets lots of eye boogers, green crusty ones and her eyes are always watering. is this okay? does it mean she's sick or anything?normal

2. Her breathing gets heavy, she kind of pants really fast...should I be concerned or is that just a normal baby thing? She also makes this high pitched squealing sound sometimes...almost sounds like she's having trouble breathing...she doesn't do it often. normal as long as her color doesnt change or you know she doenst have any health problems no worries

is she bf or ff? if she is ff is k if she goes 2-3 days with out pooping( most people dont poop everyday) if she is bf , bf babies ca go almsot up to 10 days without pooping
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2009