Help with a group problem

I'm on a group that is having trouble with someone posting content that is not in line with the group's focus. The posts aren't rude or anything, just totally off topic. The owner of the group went AWOL a long time ago. I've tried contacting her with no success. I've also tried contacting the person who is posting the messages, also with no success (so far at least...I'm still waiting). It's getting extremely annoying. Is there anything else that I can do to stop a spammer on a group that I don't own or moderate???

jessradtke

Asked by jessradtke at 3:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in About CafeMom

• You can offer to take over as group owner

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Contact CafeMom directly.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I probably should have said that I've dealt with this same issue on other forums and I always get a "Sorry, but unless the person is personally attacking or threatening other members of the group, there's nothing we can do about it" type of answer from the PTB. That's why I haven't gone to CM admins about this yet. Their policies sound pretty much the same as every one else's. If I can't get a response from either of them, I will see if I can get an action out of CM.

I was just telling DH that I wish forums and groups would institute a policy that says something to the effect of: if a group owner is absent from their group for a certain amount of time (a year, for example) but the list remains active, one of the group members may petition to take over the list. I get so frustrated when good groups go downhill because the original owner disappears and didn't appoint an admin to take over!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009