teenagers

Why do fathers feel guilty about grounding their kids? Mine agrees to ground then makes me feel like crap for doing it. Sometimes I feel like I am the fall guy. Example, daughter got interim and only completed 2 out of 9 homework assignments. Before school started, rules were if you did not do you homework, you would lose the computer (except for school work) and lose texting for the day until you show us that you have completed it. I told him we needed to stick to our guns or she would not take anything after that serious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• you know I think it's because they are not used to handing out punishment end of story and I know how you feel I recently grounded my son and he tried making me feel like crap for it but I know what's best for him and what his opinion is does not count if he's only going to pity the child for doing wrong..stick with it I haven't let my son go out and play for a week and he's grounded for 2 weeks hopefully his dad will stick behind me..I also think it's because men don't have enough patience to deal with the whining and griping and bawling because the child is grounded so in turn they just let the child do whatever they want so he don't have to listen to it :) I hoped this helped hang in there kids can be tough!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I beg to differ. Not all men feel that way. My hubby is a strong leader... he leads with a firm yet kind hand... he also leads by example. We both punish when needed and follow through. A parents biggest down fall is to not follow though... it makes the children see that you dont always mean what you say. From the get go, if we said it we meant it. Now that they are older they listen very well becasue they know that we mean what we say. However, because they do trust that we will follow thorugh they have been allowed to discuss our rules. Example: last night we told our 13 yr old that he had to come in at 9:30... he wanted to stay outside until 10. He came in at 9:30 but asked politely if he could go back out. Dad said why... our son gave a respectful and thoughtful answer.... we allowed him back out until 10. He knew that what we said was the rule... but becuse of the mutual respect he knew that he could discuss it
    Anonymous