When should I transfere my son to a toddler bed?

Hes 1 right now but will be 2 in April and we have a baby on the way due in May.. So Im trying to figure out if I should just buy another crib or if my son will be old enough to transfere into his big boy bed..

MiSs.SmOkEy

Asked by MiSs.SmOkEy at 3:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it depends on him....I switched my dd when she was 2 and I really wished i would have waited because it has been a huge issue getting her to stay in bed...I mean maybe if you did it now you could stop any behavior problems that will happen before the new baby arrives?
    Anonymous

• i switched at 2 but then he relapsed and wanted back in his crib after only being in a 'big boy' bed for 2 months he just wasnt ready i guess so i switched him when he turned three and has done awesome ever since :) I switched my DD at 2 and she sleeps in it just fine/
    Anonymous

• It depends on the child...My DD was in a twin bed by 2.5 years old. My DS aint no way hes going into a bed anytime soon. He hates to stay in bed and sits in his crib and screams and screams no matter if hes tired or not so theres no way I am gonna put him in a toddler bed yet...
    Rebecka83

Answer by Rebecka83 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• well i wanted to keep my 1 year old in the crib but i ended up in a homeless shelter and all the cribs were taken so i had to get her used to sleeping in a twin size bed i put it up against the wall and they gave me a side to attach to the bed so she would not fall out of the bed. she had just turned 1years old 4 months earlyer
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt change something else if there will soon be the change in the house of a new baby. It is hard for such little kids to be used to new things so putting too many on at once will only make it harder. That is just how I might feel. Other kids might feel happy that they are big enough for it, and it might show them you think they are growing up. You have to think of how your child will feel about it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009