Stick with my OB, or find a midwife (Edited and Reposted).

*This is a repost. I didn't word it right the last time.*

Im 39 weeks pregnant, and just found out my OB is going out of town. He has someone on call for him, but its someone that I have never met before, and Im truly not comfortable with that. Im thinking about finding a midwife, but I have a few questions.

1) Can I switch to a midwife at 39 weeks?
2) How is a midwife different than an OB?
3) Will a midwife follow my birthplan?
For example (these are just a few things.) : I want little to no pain meds, I refuse the use of forceps, but I am ok with vaccuum extraction, I want my fiance to be as involved as possible, I want the baby to be placed immediatly on my chest after birth (obviously if there are medical complications that requires otherwise, I understand), I don't want the baby to be give formula, and we want dad to be there during his circumcision.

Thanks for your advice ladies.

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 3:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Women do switch, sure. You can try, anyways. ;-)
    A midwife is a Normal Birth Expert (not a surgeon like an OB).
    You're in charge of your birth! YOU say what goes-- everything is optional. No matter who tends to your birth, your choices must be honored.
    A midwife is more likely to help you find natural ways to cope, avoiding interventions, drugs, surgery.

I personally would suggest a lot of things to help you to avoid things like forceps, etc. -- Mainly, stay UPright, & moving. Do not lie down in a bed.
    I think you should get a birth doula! ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Why would you switch at this point? I mean either way you will have a stranger at your birth. I was very worried about my midwife being out of town for my last delivery. When it was time to have the baby it was not my midwife and it was fine. I can understand your worry, but having experienced it I now know that when it is time to push that kid out, you will not care who is catching your LO.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Meet the covering partner and tell him your concerns. I wouldn't go midwife. IDK, I just wouldn't. All the rest you can have your way but just meet the on call doc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• What is the point in switching at 39 weeks? You will either be delivered by a doctor who you don't know, or a midwife who you also don't know. I'm sure a midwife would follow your birth plan (and is probably more of a natural birth advocate than the average OB since it seems you want to avoid interventions.) However if the main issue is having a stranger attend your birth, I don't see what you would hope to gain by switching.
    For what it's worth, I have three kids and only once had a doctor I knew deliver the baby. The first time I had the OB on call. The second time my GP was delivering and they called her but she didn't get there in time. My baby was delivered by some resident who happened to be in the hallway at the time! The third time my doctor did get there in time to deliver the baby. Honestly, I didn't care who was delivering the baby, it was so intense I really didn't even notice or care who the doctor was!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2009