In our new house we have a raised fireplace area, a little over a foot off the ground (5 bricks high). How do I make it safe for my 2 year old and our new puppy?

The actual inside space is a bit shorter that my future mother in law's fireplace, but it's just as wide. It also has the chain-mail type curtains that you pull together, but no screen as of yet. I don't know if a gate would work in the area. Are there any fireplace screens you would recommend as well? I've never had a fireplace before so I don't know what all is required. Thanks!
-jess

YankeeDaisy1007

Asked by YankeeDaisy1007 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We used a SuperYard flexible gate (you can make it a straight piece or any configuration you want) and attached each end to the wall with eye hooks and cable ties,

When we removed the gate, to keep our boys from hurting themselves when they rough housed, we bought a custom cut hearth cover (from this company)-which worked really well!

If you or someone you know is crafty you could make your own padded sitting area on your hearth--pretty and safe for babies/toddlers! 

Google "fireplace hearth cover" for more ideas.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2009