Facebook for kids?? (PIOC)

My MIL told my son who will be 9 next month that Facebook Farm friends is so much fun and he should ask me to open an account for him. She likes to make it out like "all the kids are doing it!!". She pointed out that my hubs cousin lets her 12 year old on it and they play all the time. - I said NO.
I am wondering, how many of your kids are on Facebook??

jalex

Asked by jalex at 4:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope, it is NOT for kids. Tell her to but out!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• hmmm... I think its for anyone who wants to have a profile on it. If you allow your child to be on it, then insist you know the password, keep the profile private, and monitor it very closely. I see nothing wrong with it if it has boundaries on it and your child is using it to play a game and keep in contact with relatives and people that you know.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• no.

I have facebook, and my kids play MY games. I do not let them do anything else. just the games.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My aunt allows her daughter, who is 8, to have a facebook page, but everything is restricted so no one can see it unless they are her friends, and my aunt monitors who she is friends with, which is mostly all family who lives out of state. She monitors who she talks to and the amount of time she is allowed on. Personally with situations like this I don't see a problem with it..
    Anonymous

• MY 10 year old has an account, but he does not even know his own password and is only allowed to have family members as friends. When he is on I sit near him and keep an eye on what he is doing. My husbands family is not geographically close to us, so he gets to keep in contact with them. He loves having the freedom to talk to the whole family. I love that he gets to talk to the whole family and I know he is safe, because I watch him like a hawk.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• FB in my opinion is not kids. I don't think anyone under 16 needs to use any social network like that.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I don't see why a social network site would be bad for anyone. Obviously you keep people that you don't know out but what's so bad about it? It's gameplay and communication with friends and family. It's no different than talking on the phone or sending letters. I guess since FB is generally used for young adults people assume it's anti-child. I wouldn't say so. You restrict your info from strangers and the ads revolve around the users age and interests.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• as long as you monitor it, I don't see the harm.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010