How do i go by not letting my first born feel left out when the new baby comes?

i have 5 months till the new baby gets here, what steps should i start to take now? She's three now and understands that there is a baby in my belly but i dont know how she is gonna react when baby is born and comes home....

kbhunt

Asked by kbhunt at 4:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i had my second when my first was 23 mts. she handle it well. she loves her brother so much. i was bf at frist so she would sit next to me and watch me and bf her baby it was cute after a few days ds wnat latching on well so i swithced to pumping so then my dd started helping me feed him . she gives me his diapers and keeps ds entartaint if i ahave to go potty. i try to include her in evrything. with the baby. my dd loved her lil brother from the moment she set eyes on him to her thast her baby. even when a putting her to bed and if he cries she wil get up and go comfort him. let her feel the baby kick. let her know that the baby is going to be little and she has to be gentle. once the baby arrives let her help you out.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My husband and I are planning on trying for our second next year, but I read in "Parenting Magazine" that one thing to help your older one feel special is to make sure you try and set their schedules so that your younger one goes to bed about an hour before your older one, so you can spend time with your older one like you do now. Obviously at the beginning that won't really work because your newborn will have their schedule, but I agree with the previous person and really try to include your older child in with what you do with the baby. Best of luck and congratulations!
    NArnold

Answer by NArnold at 11:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Hey You could show her some attention, and always give her hugs, and talk to her, don't leave out any of the things you did on a daily basis or on a typical day. Let her participate and let her know that she's the big sister now to her new baby brother or sister that way she can feel helpful instead of jealous and left out. Half of the time kids are jealous because they don;t get as much as attention as they did before the new arrival. So many kisses, many hugs, and some good stories should help. :) Hope I helped somehow.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 1:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2009