OMG please help I don't know what to do any more!

OK so my son was showing symptoms of being lactose intolerant when we had to give him formula so we did soy...that worked awesome. Then when he turns 1 we switch to lactaid milk which he then breaks out in a huge rash all over his back, arms, and legs like eczema. I get WIC and since I need a Doctors note to get the soy milk it has been a struggle and I still have not found a doctor that thinks its a milk allergy but early last month Syler gets severe diarrhea so I figure its just a bug no biggie couple days he'll get over it keep him hydrated...so it goes away after a few days just like I thought but....it came back with a vengeance with more of a rash since I did get the rash to go away with not having dairy...he also has not gained any weight since he was 11 months old and he's looking really skinny other people have told me that he looks skinny...his belly sticks out a lot he looks like the old guys that have drunk way to

julieobug

Asked by julieobug at 4:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• much beer lol...and the diarrhea wont go away its gotten a little better when i cut pretty much everything but fruit, veggies, and meats...but its only been a few days with the diet but I don't want him to lose any more weight because I'm trying to stop the diarrhea...I just don't know what to do anymore!
    julieobug

Answer by julieobug at 4:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Are you taking him to a regular pediatrician or have you taken him to an allergy specialist? If it's not an allergy reaction to milk they need to figure out what it is. Not gaining weight should be a red flag. Can you see another pediatrician? This doesn't sound good at all but don't panic or you will scare the child.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Pedia sure. The one I use(actually I think they all are) is lactose free and gluten free and my son is finally gaining weight. Tell the doctor you want a note for it, or I could send you some of mine LOL WIC gave us double what the doctor said he needs so I have a crap load of extra.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• We can only see the doctor that tricare assigns us and they wont believe that there is anything wrong this has been going on (the rash at least) since may of this year.
    julieobug

Answer by julieobug at 4:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My son can't have dairy either! We're going to try soy next.... but our ped said to stay on formula a little while longer; some kids can switch around 15 months. See if you can change his ped. You can go online (we are TRICARE as well) and try and change your pediatrician... at least one that can help you trouble-shoot! Where are you stationed?
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• We are at Fort Campbell, KY
    julieobug

Answer by julieobug at 9:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• If he STILL has the diarrhea I'd take him to Urgent Care. He could have a silly baby belly, or his stomach could be distended. He may need fluids and medical attention. Will your insurance cover the ER? You might be able to get a second opinion there too. Your poor baby shouldn't have diarrhea for this long. You have to demand better care for your little one. You are his only advocate. Be assertive if you have to, don't be afraid to do what you have to do for your baby.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My ds went through very similar things!! He didn't have the diarrhea, but MAJOR RASH!! His doc first said it was a virus, then it was something else. I kept calling her and taking him in so they could see how bad it was getting. She finally ordered blood work and they found it was a milk allergy. I tried lactose free, but that didn't even work. I talked with our WIC office and she said they don't need a doc's note for soy. I live in Michigan, but WIC is a federal program, so it should all be the same - IDK. Anyway, I bought Silk for him and he is WAY better. No more rash, normal poops (for a while he was constipated), no more spitting up. He was still spitting up at 11 months and that was my first clue. He has been on regular formula for his entire 1st year and NOW I can think back and realize his symptoms were the milk allergy and not normal baby things.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• a lot of kids who are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy. soy is in everything too, my 13 month old is allergic to both and SMALL amounts of whey or soy lecithin will give her bad diarrhea, try cutting out all milk and soy stuff, give him the pedialyte and rice milk if he'll drink it, thats my suggestion
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• check out Zoliac disease...?
    LiamandNoahsMom

Answer by LiamandNoahsMom at 7:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009