Why can't I get along with people my own age?

I'm 18, I don't socialize with anyone under the age of let's say.... 24. I just think the people my age are stupid, judgemental, irresponsible.... they just irritate me. I can't even hold a conversation with 18/19/20yr olds, I just feel like slapping them in the face and be like UMM DUH! what's wrong with you!?!?!? (like on the V8 comercial *donk* "shoulda had a V8")

Is this a normal thing because I'm a young mom and need to be more adult than the people my age, or just a personality defect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You have just matured faster than your peers that is all. Watch out for early gray hairs ;o)
    Anonymous

• Yikes I know, my dad started going gray at 18 now he is 42 and his hair is completely white... I really hope I got my mom's genes on that one

OP
    Anonymous

• I think it does have to do with motherhood. It's A GREAT THING that you're more mature though. Maturity is important to parenthood. I don't have a lot of young close friends either. We just don't connect like I do with generally older moms. The stereotypical teenage group is all about drama and petty stuff. I don't find it interesting.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I've always been the same way...you're just a bit more mature than most people your age. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You are mature, and that's great! Not a defect! You just realize what is more important while some your age don't. They usually don't have all the real life things to deal with that you do with a child. They are all about partying, and being self centered. You have a child to care for and you put them first. Nothing wrong with that. I never got along with people my age in school, either. I was worried about my animals on our farm, and they were worried about new cars. Then DH and I got married as seniors. After graduating, we got pregnant and became parents at age 19. We got left out a lot because we were married with a baby. It makes you grow up and think first before you do things.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I was the same way and have always believed age is relative. It's your maturity level, common sense, and the kindness in your heart that gets you far in life.

I wish my 20 y/o daughter had grown up mature and responsible. Unfortunately, she prefers her friends to be teens so she can keep on reliving her youth through them. She's a new mother now and it upsets me dearly to see that she would rather go out as a teeny-bopper than to stay home and be a mommy.

You should be very proud of who you are.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I got married to my husband when I was 17 and had my 1st kid at 18. I never like being around people my age either. I never had much in common with them. 10 years and 3 kids later Im still with my hubby and still hanging out with people at least a few years older then me.
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 9:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009