I believe in child support but I do not believe in alimony... what are your thoughts on someone sitting on their butts all day, living off of someone elses hard earned money?

You divorce someone to get away from them not to take care of them... seriously.

Some people probably need a little help to get started after a divorce but some people take advantage of it and its WRONG!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What exactly do you mean by sit on their butt? I'm not divorced or ever been married but I watch Judge Judy from time to time. She says that what ever lifestyle the spouse was accustomed to, that's the lifestyle that they will keep when they are divorced. I agree that when you divorce that's the end. I can understand child support after divorce but it all depends on the situation as well.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 4:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• OP HERE ~ my uncles ex wife sits on her butt. she refuses to get a job and she barely has her daughter. this is what I am talking about. people who take advantage of it. its not right because they should be looking for a job.
    Anonymous

• I also agree with Judge Judy.

Judge Judy  says :

"that what ever lifestyle the spouse was accustomed to, that's the lifestyle that they will keep when they are divorced."

Anonymous

• SAME THING SHOULD HAPPEN WITH YOUR KIDS... WHEN THEY LEAVE YOU SHOULD STILL TAKE CARE OF THEM. AFTERALL, THEY ARE BLOOD AND MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN EX SPOUSE.
    Anonymous

• My mother was in her early 50's when my parents hit a rough patch. She had never worked, dad ALWAYS made enough for her to stay at home. Why should she, at 53 and after 35 years of marriage, have to go get a job she has no skills for, and no references for, if he can still afford to care for her (they eventually worked things out and are happier now than they were when us kids were at home).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• What if the wife has little babies and no one to watch them. What you said is cruel.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think that if they can afford it then they should... paying two rents is different then one. People do take advantage of it.
    Anonymous

• To a certain extent, I totally agree. If the spouse really needs it, that's one thing, but if s/he doesn't and is just being hateful, the judge should recognize that and not award it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Well here are my thoughts....no one knows what 'lifestyle' a family was accustomed to by how much $$ they had. I make less NOW than I did when I was married and I have more $$. When I was married I we NEVER had spare money because of all the debt my ex caused. BUt when the marriage ended (roughly 1 yr after it started), he could have gotten $400 a month from me (JUST because I made more than him). Seriously,. how does that make sense? I think it's the gov'ts way of helping someone be spiteful! I think the ONLY time spousal support/alimony should be given is IF the couple decided that one person wouldn't work (for example) to stay home with the kids. If you made that decision...then something should be done (as in temporary support). But I don't think it should be up to an ex to take care of you. Grow up, be an adult and take care of yourself. I especially think this because there ARE people who won't marry someone else...
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 8:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• because they are collecting support and don't want to lose it. Our country needs to stop taking care of people who refuse to take care of themselves.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 8:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2009