not talking much

My son is 22 months and really doesn't talk much but he does babble alot and he does say mama, mama, dada, yeah and out and he also points alot to let us knows what he wants or if see something he likes. Alot of people told me I should be concern that he isn't really talking because by this age he should be saying alot more and saying some sentence. Me and my husband read to me alot and we will say words to him like bye, cat, dog and other words too so should I let him be and he will talk up a storm when he is ready or should I be worry and talk to his dr.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is common for boys to leave off really talking until they're 3. They're often busy doing other things.

The problem with the idea that there is 'one right way' for development to take place isn't just that it's untrue, it's the trying to force development to go 'the right way' distorts that child's natural pace and can delay other, unrelated, development. If he's taking steps in development, and he's healthy and fine, he's fine. If he wasn't developing at all (not progressing from walking to running, not learning to throw or catch, or not understanding more and more complex instructions) it would be an indication of a problem.

No child goes through all of the developmental stages on time, in order --at least not in any time or order other than their own.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• every child is different, at that age my dd knew over 200 words. talk to his doctor he will be able to help you
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I"m not sure how much he should be talking. But to encourage him, when he points say "do you want the juice, say juice", etc. Then make a big huge deal when he tries, even if it doesn't sound like "juice" to you. And as I told another mom today, have his hearing checked. That's my big personal peeve about speech concerns....docs aren't "testing" little kids as they should.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• It won't hurt to talk to your doctor. But both my boys were very slow with speech. Is he behind on anything else? If not, I wouldn't be very concerned. His energy and efforts may just be going to other things. My 3 year old and 2 year old are about at the same stage with their speech! I joke that my 1 year old daughter will pass them up, but now I don't think so. The boys have really progressed in the last 6-12 months and are catching up to others their age. (Still behind though).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• sounds just like my son, he's 24mths and his doctor suggested early intervention so i called them and they will call me back to make an appointment for him. so if he does need therapy that will be able to help him. i feel so bad because he seems frustrated when he's trying to tell me something. i think you should ask his doctor.
    Anonymous

• When our FS was 21 m/o, he was evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) and although he was on track or advanced on other things and could understand words, he was delayed on expressive speech (talking). At that point, he only said about 10 words. He's now 30 m/o & speaks (although still not clearly, but understandable) about 175-200 words, & still not in sentences. ECI is a program from 0-36 months, so after 36 months old it will stop, but hopefully he'll be caught up by then. It really has helped him a LOT. We could have waited to see if he talked on his own (& at 25 m/o said a lot more), but since the services ended at 36 m/o decided to start them. It's up to you, but personally, I'd call ECI and they can get a referral from the dr. They could evaluate him & say's he's NOT delayed. They could say he's delayed, but you decide NOT to do the services. YOU are in control. You can stop anytime. PM me if you want to.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009