If you saw a parent spank(just a swat on the bottom) their child in public would you??

say or do anything or would you just mind your own business

Asked by Autumnlover68 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would definitely mind my own business.

Answer by Juliebee81 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• MYOB!! You don't know their situation.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Mind my own business, different parents do different things and it would be very VERY rude to push your parental choices on another mother. I mean if she's hitting her kid in the face that's one thing, but a swat on the bottom? Her choice.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Nothing: mind my own business. I've swat my kids ON THEIR BOTTOM ONLY in public/private. Like MamaPyratekk said if it was on the face, arms, legs, that's different. Is spanking (a swat on the bottom ONLY) my only form of discipline? NO, mostly it's time outs however at times a spanking (a swat on the bottom ONLY) is what is needed.... Often if my kids get a swat on the bottom it's because they have already had several warnings or timeouts for x behavior and have been told do it again and it will be a spanking.

Do I spank (a swat ont he bottom ONLY) often? NO, perhaps once every 2-3 months....

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Definitely mind my own business. I have nothing to do with that situation, and i'm definitely not interfering with a strangers disciplining method. Child abuse is one thing, but a swat on the butt?? I don't think that's wrong... I swat my dd's bottom on occasion if it's necessary.

Answer by Silvia1011 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Thank them... I have actually. I've thanked people for having the guts to punish their kids in public. So many people let their kids act like animals because they are afraid to swat them in public. I have no problem snachin up my kids and appreciate when others are willing to do it. 

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• The reason I ask is I was in a public place one day and had to discipline my oldest child for he wasn't listening to me so I gave him a single swat on the bottom, and had a woman come up to me and tell me she was going to turn me into the police for child abuse.

Answer by Autumnlover68 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I hate people like that ^^^

I'm sure her kids behaved perfectly too **gag**. Just do what you feel is right. Don't worry about what the rest of the world thinks. It's your right to discipline your child.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I would mind my own business. Unless the parents kept at it and it got worse. Kids these days need the discipline. As long as it is not a beating, then yeah, I would ignore it, to a point.

Answer by SpiderLizz at 11:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I MYOB. I do it, mainly to get a point across. Lately, though, my "weapon of choice" is to hold my son by the ear and very firmly talk in his ear and tell him what I want him to do/not to do. That usually gets the point across better, because he is listening to every word!

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2008