What is a good age to get married and start a family?

My little sister is 19 and depressed because she hasn't found Mr. Right. She says she is depressed because she feels like she's really behind. Her best friend is the same age and engaged and most of her other friends are in real serious relationships. I told her that she doesn't have to start a family until she is in her 30's if she wants, that's the route a lot of people take. Besides, she only wants two children... so it's not like she's on a time limit. I'm 25 and just had a daughter 3 months ago and I got married 3 years ago... she thinks she should be like me... when she doesn't have to.

So what age do you guys think is the right age to get married?
What is the right age to start having children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• it depends on the person but you are right she has a lot of time a head of her to figure it out and meet mr right
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think anywhere from 22- 30 should be great for getting married, just because i think you should start your life together early Lord willing. I was married at 21 and had my Son at 22. I do Not recommend having a child the first year of marriage if can be helped, I was prego when I got married and it was the toughest.
    But definitely tell your sis not to rush it God has the perfect man picked out for her and he will come along when she is ready =)
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Depends if they are ready they are ready.
    I was 22 when I got married and we waited 4 years to start a family I was 26 when we had our 1st. We have been married for 7.5 years and expecting our 2nd baby any day now.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think that you should tell your sister to go to school and enjoy her life. There are so many things that
    you can never go back and do once you get married and have kids. Going to school, taking jobs or internships that pay nothing or close to it, traveling, living with roommates, go where she wants when she wants. Enjoy the fact that she's single, figure out what she wants out of life. When she gets married she is going to look back on her life and wish the years before marriage and kids and family and responsibility lasted a little longer.
    Anonymous

• It depends on hopw mature you are and how much real life experience you have ahd such as college and a good job and knowing how to be independent.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• There is no right age, but I'd like to second a previous post and say that delaying pregnancy at least for the first solid year of marriage can make things much easier. I also was pregnant when my DH and I got married (we were *just* 20 and I was 6 months along). It took us about 3.5 years to figure out the things it takes people who don't have kids a year or less to do. It was very stressful, but it has improved tons!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Geez she's not even out of college yet is she? She needs to finish college and start her career before she thinks about finding Mr Right and settling down. What would she have to offer Mr Right now? I'd tell her to quit the depression crap and get on the ball, get her act together and build toward a foundation for a future. You don't just wake up one day and meet someone and marry them. Tell her to find herself first then she can find her mate. Geez, kids! They are so in a hurry to get to the head of the line that they miss out on all the great stuff along the way.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009