Is anyone aware of any legitimate scholarships or grants available to HS students for study in the Fine Arts?

My 15 year old is interested in a private Fine Arts HS and I would like to be able to send her, however tuition is steep. Any help is appreciated.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 5:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends on the field of art. Honestly, the money out there is fiercely attacked by 100s of thousands of people. I have a Master's in Fine Art -- college financial folks all told me the whole time, undergrad and grad, there is nothing out there.

Her best bet is to submit work to contests. That's how most of my colleagues and I paid our way. Prize money. You can msg me about her areas of study and I can give you some resources.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I would think that the school career advisor would have access to the types available to her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Go to the public liberty and get a book of scholarships. There are a couple of huge books on them. Also if there are any firm he would love to work with when he gets done with school e- mail them to see they offer scholarships or internships. I hope this helps some.

Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 8:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• There is no financial aid in fine arts specifically for undergrads. However the Cooper Union in NYC used to be tuition free. It is quite competative.and very good Housing would be expensive. You could also check out Berea College. Normal scholarships are available and work study type stuff. They are usually based on affiliation (organizations, unions, etc.), academic standing, or need. These involve the FAFSA route, writing essays, etc. Check on line, talk to your son's guidance counselor, art teacher. I took two years off and worked to save up for school. With financial aid (scolarships) it was doable. My folks couldn't help me out.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 6:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2009