grandmother issues

my mother loves to be a grandmother to all her grandchildren except my newest. she will take my son for the day and when I go to pick him up I'll ask if she wants to see the baby and shre will say no! WTF? what should I do? I don't want to say she can't watch ds (he's 3 y/o and dd is 2months) I don't expect her to take dd on visits as dd is so young but she won't even acknowlege dd. what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Really thier might not be anything you can do. My grandma ( dad's mom) plays favorites and we all know this . aunt and uncles kids are the favorites and my sister and I get ignored completely . She hasn't seen her great granddaughter more than 5 times and she's 2.5 years old ! I am due anytime with second and she told us we should have anymore kids . I just try and ignore it because I cna't make her like us if she doesn't.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• That's wierd. Talk to her about it. She may not like babies. Some people are that way. If she has a good relationship with your son don't take that away from them.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• How old is your mother? If she's "older" she might be afraid to handle your young daughter, or your son being 3 means she can do stuff with him--like play at the park, go to the zoo, talk with him, play games with him, etc.

I know my MIL LOVES the toddler/preschool age, but never liked the infant stage--even with her own four children!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I won't have her playing favorites. she loves babies by the way. my sister has a 7month old dd and she plays with her and has always played with babies. she's mad at me & df so she's taking it out on dd. like I said I don't expect her to take dd for visits but she won't even look at her let alone play with her. its so irritating. I don't want to keep ds from her for ds sake. otherwise I'd tell her she needs to stop playing favorites or she won't see either one.
    Anonymous

• Wow, if she is taking it out on your DD because she is mad at you and your DF, that is petty. I'm surprised she's not taking it out on your DS too. You need to have a convo with her and let her know that this is her grandbaby and if she plans on seeing one she should plan on seeing the other because at some point the baby will want grandma attention too!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• That's right threaten her. That'll go real well.  Careful you might be surprise with her answer.

Anonymous

• honestly the only person I care about out of that family is my dad. as far as I'm concerned the rest of the family can go to hell when he dies... if I could I'd cut ties with everyone but him. the only reason I'm not cutting ties with them when my dad dies is cause of my sons relationships. he adores them and my nephew is only 6 months older than he is.
    Anonymous

• Some of us grandmothers don't like dealing with little ones. We do better when they can walk! Don't hold it against her. It's nothing personal.
    Anonymous

• with her it is personal. she LOVES infants. she is the kind of woman who would ask a stranger to hold their infant. she's a foster parent amd LOVES getting infants. she's mad at me & df for some choices we made like moving away from her, the fact that I got pregnant after knowing him 3 months (which yes was stupid of me but oh well) and a few other things. she tells my fiances parents that ds is HER grandson and dd is THEIR granddaughter... ummm WTF? yes ds has a different bio dad than dd but dd's dad is going to adopt ds as ds bio dad isn't in the pic and never has been. she's just butthurt and is choosing to take it out on dd.
    Anonymous