normal for a 1 week old?

My first baby, she is a very deep sleeper and most of the time i have to wake her up to feed her,
her pediatrician suggested formula during the day, breast milk at night because she was getting dehydrated she was drinking a normal 2 ounces each feeding but now she will sleep past the four hour mark if i dont wake her up. i dont let her go past 3 hours and sometimes she only eats 1 in a half ounces, and sometimes she'll drink up to 4 ounces. she likes both the formula and breast milk she's not a picky eater at all she just doesn't seem to wanna eat sometimes and other times she drinks like 4 ounces! is this ok?
is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• um first of all your pediatrian is an idiot,.so change that. the more formula you use your milk is gonna dry up. just wake her yp get her naoked only diaper and nurse her that way ticlked her feet. nurse on demand. your doctor is given you horrible adviced you need to find a pediatrician that know about bf.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My son was just like this for the first week too. Some babies just like to sleep! In my case I think all the c-section drugs made him extra groggy (it was a c-section gone bad). My son's appetite picked up a lot after about 1 1/2 or 2 weeks. Give her a little more time. Also, I would give her breastmilk DAY AND NIGHT. I had a pediatrician who wanted me to formula feed a bunch (though I was producing milk like crazy), and I am so glad I did not listen to her, as it turns out my son is extremely allergic to milk and coconut (an ingredient in 99% of formulas). If you can do breastmilk, it's the way to go! (Not bashing formula feeding though, I think it is just fine in many cases...just saying IF you can do 100% breastmilk, got your supply and everything, it's a better route.)
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 6:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I say get a 2nd opinion. Breastfed babies do not need supplemental formula unless they are not thriving and growing. Your baby will not become dehydrated by your breastmilk. It is normal for a 1 week old to sleep for various lengths of time and you are very lucky to have such a young baby that sleeps for 4 hours straight. Not all doctors will recommend that you wake a sleeping baby to eat. The perk of waking them is that you can help to establish an eating schedule, but why wake a baby to eat? She will wake when she is ready to eat. It is also normal for her to eat varying amounts at each feeding. Just feed her until she decides to pull away - she knows when she is full. It may seem like a "process" or that you need to get her on a regular feeding schedule, but just try to relax and allow your baby to set the pace of the day. My best advice is to pick a day, maybe tomorrow, and just stay in bed all day. contin...
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• contin...

Keep her close by and feed her whenever she wakes up, but don't wake her up. Whether you choose to give her breastmilk or formula doesn't really matter, but I bet you that if you allow her to wake on her own she will be good and ready to eat because she's hungry! Waking her early and then trying to feed her might mean that she's still full from the previous feeding. Best of luck.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Another great example of how the medical community sabotages the breastfeeding relationship. DROP THE FORMULA!!! Once you introduce the formula it is a slippery slope. Everything and more is in breastmilk. Formula is NEVER the better option in any normal case.  Feed baby on demand for as long as baby desires.  Good Luck and double check any hints that doctor gives you because he seems very misinformed.

Anonymous

• My daughter was told to wake her baby every two hours to feed her. It will increase her volume of milk she makes and the baby will hydrated. It takes time to get that milk coming in. Don't give up! Drink liquids yourself. Pump the opposite breast every time the baby eats if they aren't nursing both sides. I agree with the other poster. Your doctor is giving you bad advice. The formula is going to make it worse.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My DS was a deep sleeper and I used to have to tickle his feet while feeding to keep him awake and alert enough to suckle.

Very strange advice your DR gave you about the formula/breastmilk. If you are dedicated to choosing to BF then you should consult your local LLL.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 8:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I'd breastfeed at every opportunity!! I had to formula-feed based on my son's allergies, but I know that you've gotta "use it or lose it" in regard to breast feeding. Yes, like PP said, I also had to tickly my son's feet to keep him awake sometimes. However, I have no medical education and your doc may something we do not. And... I'm so happy you currently have a good sleeper... best wishes & congrats!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Formula is actually harder for a baby to digest, meaning that it will take longer for the baby to digest. This in itself could make a baby sleep longer in between feedings. Breastmilk digests easily, and faster, causing to baby to be hungary sooner. Think of formula as a medication: it is there to save lives if for some reason a baby isn't thriving on breastmilk alone. Please discontinue using formula if you want to have a good breastfeeding relationship. The first 6 weeks are the hardest, but then after that, you should have regulated your supply, and your baby will start to be more aleart. As long as you are feeding on demand, you should be good. I wouldn't wake a baby at night unless you were extremely concerned about growth. Remember, your body knew how to nourish her while in the womb, and your body knows how to nourish her now. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 9:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My daughter used to want to sleep for long periods as a newborn as well and I had to wake her. It's normal. Hunger doesn't always rouse them from sleep but yes you need to in the beginning. I think you should also try to phase out the formula use if you want to breastfeed exclusively or your milk production will suffer. It's a supply and demand system. As far as the amount eaten, you can't force your baby to eat. During the night hold her close and save diaper changing until morning unless dirty becaue that would wake her up too much. I used to rub my daughter's head or pat her side during night feedings if she started to droze off and it would bring her back enough to start again.
    Eau_Rouge

Answer by Eau_Rouge at 10:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009