Where does the term 'under grace' mean? Who said it and did Jesus teach it?

I see this used all the time by Christians as an explanation of why they don't have to follow certain things from the OT.

Did JESUS say this HIMSELF? Did JESUS say before he died that you no longer have to follow the OT laws and rules? Did JESUS follow the OT laws?

What exactly IS grace?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be "under" the law means to be "guilty before God" for breaking the law. (Romans 3:19,20) It means the law is "on top" of us. When we repent of our sins and have faith in Christ, we are forgiven by his grace and are no longer "guilty before God." Are we then free to break the law? Paul wrote, "What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." (Romans 6:15.)

Did JESUS say this HIMSELF? NO.
    Did JESUS say before he died that you no longer have to follow the OT laws and rules? No, but He struck down the legalistic interpretations.
    Did JESUS follow the OT laws? Yes, accept for the sacrifices,until the end that is. ;-)

What exactly IS grace? unmerited favor. A lot of believers overlook the fact that the OT believers were also saved by grace through faith. (Hebrews 11, Habakkuk 2:4)

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I dion't know, but I wasn't taught of this grace other christians talk about.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Most churches dont teach on grace and its one of the most powerful messages needed in the church today.
    He is Grace.. What He did was Grace.. we didnt deserve Him dying on the cross but He did it out of love. When we are under His grace that means we are under things we truly do not deserve but out of love it is given anyway. If you want to know more about grace get Destined to Reign by Joseph Prince. I was never taught grace until the church I attend now and after reading this book.. my mindset has been forever changed on the message of Grace and the finished work of the cross.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I do not follow the judicial laws; they governed an ancient community and served their purpose. My society has it's on judicial laws that I follow, not as a matter of religion but of order and community. Similarly, the judicial laws of the OT kept order. They are seen as a matter of religion because for a long time, the children of Isreal were under a Theocracy as well as their religious leaders also being their leaders in all other matters as well.

I do not follow the ceremonial laws. The OT prophesied the coming of the Messiah and we see that this Messiah was Jesus Christ. Jesus said he came not to throw the law away but to fulfill it. I believe that Jesus fulfilled our need to sacrafice for the forgiveness of sins; he paid the final penalty for it all.

The 10 Commandments, the moral law, is not "done away with" as true and basic moral rules are timeless. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I do not follow the 10 Commandments out of legalism as Jesus scoffed at the legalism of the Pharisees. Clearly, he wants us to follow by the guidance of the Holy Spirit and out of love for him ("if you love me, you will keep my commandments") and not from a set list of rules. I follow the 10 Commandments because a life of holiness by guidance of His Spirit automatically leads me to it.

Did Jesus follow the laws? He was a Jewish man and followed Jewish customs as his fellow brethren did. He did break the Sabbath and repeatedly corrected the Pharisees legalistic views.

Grace is God's complete act of mercy through which, sinners, by faith, are granted complete pardon and sanctification to be able to enter into his presence when we die. God's Grace is the ultimate pardon. "By grace are you saved, through faith..." Ephesians 2:8a
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:25 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• and *justification, rather.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Rhanda, oops! I wasn't meaning to make it look like I was correcting you or adding to what you were saying. I was trying to correct what I wrote above hehe. Good posts! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• The OT was superceded by the arrival of Jesus. He was representative of the new "covenant", the new promise, to the peoples. This wiped away the covenant God had with the Jews in part becasue they couldn't adhere to the laws laid before them.

Have you noticed how the responders seem to focus around this question, "What exactly IS grace"? Yet they seem to avoid the other questions. Many Christian religious sects teach to this, much like No Child Left Behind in our classrooms. Its truly sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

-------
    Jesus is the fulfillment of the "Old" Covenant. Study the sanctuary processes in the OT and you get a greater understanding of what Jesus has done for us. The Ten Commandments, written by God on stone, "are not grievous" (or burdensome, 1 John 5:3) but the laws that Moses wrote in a book were (Colossians 2:14, note that the TC contains no new moons or festivals, but the ML does). The Mosaic law was a shadow of the sacrifice Jesus would make on behalf of lost humanity. Thanks to Him we no longer have to drag a sheep through camp,slice its throat, press upon it's head as we confess or sins,looking into its eyes as it bleeds to death.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2009