Curious...

Ok so another question got me thinking...I'm mexican, my husband is white. So that makes our baby biracial or mixed or whatever you call it but he looks completly white, my question is when he (baby) gets in school or has to fill out the kind of paperwork you have to check a box with your race what should he check???? Is there a box with the term birracial or mixed?? or you go by the one you look the most, is his case white??? It would not bother me if he checked white i mean he looks white , but he would know he is half mexican so it won't matter to me. I am just currious i never thought about it before, and i know there are a lot of birracial mommies in here so i want to hear your expirience

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• For college applications check Mexican! But for now, it doesn't really matter. Check both or one.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Not sure of you have noticed but most of the time it's not required to check what race you are. I don't think you're going to have to worry about it. When our boys started school I don't remember ever having to fill out what race they are.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• There are many options on most documents

"White of Hispanic origin"
    "White non-Hispanic origin"
    "Two or more races"

Bc of affirmative action legislation, he'll benefit if you choose to claim his multi-ethnic heritage.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Standardized tests for elementary school do have a race box, but most of the time the administrators have coded them already. That means that in most cases a school age child will not have to check the box themselves. The admins get the information from you, the parent, when you first register the kid for school. I guess you'll have to decide between now and then what you want to your child's label to be...
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• In Texas they recently changed the form, and your child would check white, and Mexican. I think this is a current trend. There are too many bi racial people now to discount their origins. Bi racial people are not, either or, but both. They now choose both which of coarse is what they should do.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 6:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• We put "other"...mark "all the races that apply" or nothing! It is no ones business and not important...that medical excuse is not true...only in America are people obsessed with labeling everyone into a group!

Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• when he is older maybe he will choose what he wants to mark
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I always go by last name My maiden name is dasilva I am Portuguese My son is McGarry he will tell people that he is Irish then Portugueses .
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 7:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• saying he's a mexican will get him more government help and opportunities
    Anonymous

• There is usually an option of other go for that.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 8:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009