i've come to a conclusion that i have way too much stuff...so any tips on how to down size?

the biggest problem is the kids have too much clothes....what do you think is an ideal number for shirts sweaters pants ect? (they have walk in closest and large 5 drawer dressers that are over flowing) also any other tips on how to downsize or better organize that will help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have this problem with myself and with my 14 month old. It probably wouldn't be so bad if I liked to do laundry more lol. I think maybe 2 weeks worth of outfits for kids is decent since they sometimes have to change througout the day. Space saver bags are awesome for this problem too and I agree with SarahLee though I never take that advice lol.
    Anonymous

• Check out flylady.net seriously, I heart the fly lady.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• What I do is I go through my closet and if I haven't worn something in the past six months, I take it to the thrift store, because chances are I won't wear it in the near future. Also, if clothes don't fit, I take them to thrift; yes, I *might* fit into them again some day, but right now I don't, so what's the point of keeping them around?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• first go though the clothes and see what the kids like and if they give you flak for that and say they like all their clothes then you go through it and if you can't remember the last time they wore it or put it on it goes to good will. ideally all kids should have at LEAST three pairs of play jeans and five play shirts, two sets of schoolclothes that are kept relatively nice, and three different outfits for going out that are varying degrees of nice (say one outfit for a family dinner, one outfit for the holiday festivities, and one outfit that is "church ready") but that's the bare minimum you can tailor that to your kids. kids also only need two pairs of shoes play shoes and dress shoes if they have more that's your perogative. good luck.
    Anonymous

• In addition to giving stuff away to the thrift stores, I freecycle a lot of my stuff. Freecycle.com exists, I understand, in a lot of states. I list the items, pack em up and someone comes and picks em up. DONE! It feels good to help someone else, without any hidden agendas or expecting something in return.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Lol. First have your kids go through and pick out what they like
    Now, you can give stuff to a thrift store or charity, you can sell it by having a yard sale or putting it on craigslist, or you can post it on www.freecycle.org. And people will come and get it! I usually do all three. The very nicest pieces I'll take pics of and sell by the bag on craigslist, the ones that are in great shape but not a name brand go to freecycle, and the other pieces go to goodwill. Anything that is torn or stained gets made into rags.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• 1outfit per day is plenty. donate the others to those less fortunate
    Anonymous