Throwing out baby stuff

My son uses sippy cups now but I can't bear the thought of throwing away his bottles. I really think I might cry if I do. I've told myself that I can keep one or two and put them away but I still can't seem to muster up the strength to toss the rest. Same with all his out grown baby clothes and other things. Has anyone else gone through this? How did you get over it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I kept a select few outfits--ones that could be used for future children (boys and girls), and outfits that could be worn year round. Anything I couldn't BEAR to part with, I kept to make a quilt out of some day.

I donate the rest of everything. Im not the kind of person to keep things around I won't have use for. Remember the latex on bottles and pacifiers degrades over time, making them unusable for future children. I would donate them personally--I found someone on freecycle willing to take all of DDs soothie pacifiers.

Our babies are growing up--no doubt about that. Hopefully you have pictures of him drinking from a bottle, so you shouldn't need the actual item.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I was going through a divorce when it was time to get rid of baby things. It made it worse. I would look at other women who were pregnant and think about why can't that be me.

It's normal to be sad. It will fade but it may never go away. Save some of your favorite things for grandchildren.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I don't really have advice for the bottles but I made a quilt out of all of my favorite baby clothes of my son's. And I keep adding as he keeps growing.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 7:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• honestly i felt so much better when i gave my clothes to needy mothers. whether it to a charity that used them for abused women who left with nothing for their kids or a disaster recovery. It felt good to give them directly to them!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• have a throw out baby bottle party or event. You sound like those people who are emotionally attached to items----HOARDERS.. Just keep one of them in a keepsake if you absolutely must titled My little boy's baby things- and then trash the rest!
    Anonymous

• yup,i donate my little ones clothes,makes it easier to get rid of em.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I kept it to use with baby #2. Now when we are done with having babies... I will pass them on to friends with babies or I will take them to Goodwill or a baby store called Once Upon a Child (they buy used stuff)! I get to keep the kid so I think I'll be able to handle getting rid of the stuff.

Try to find a Mom who needs that stuff. You will feel better by handing them down to someone who needs them.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2009