Did your own mother work or stay at home?

What did your own mother choose to do, and has it made an impact on your decision on whether or not to stay at home with your own children?

Personally, I am choosing to stay at home with my son, as my mom did with me and my brother. I'm sure there is more of a correlation in my own case than I initially realized, seeing as I've always looked up to her so much. Just curious about the other moms on here.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My mom was a SAHM my entire life until she died. She quit her job the week before I was born in 1976 and only worked about a year and a half in the early 90s while I was in high school. That was part time and, I think, more out of boredom then anything. After that she stayed home to care for my ailing grandmother. She died (my mom) in 2000 at the age of 51.
    I guess that influenced me. I always wanted to be an at home mom like my own mother. I'm not half as good as it as she was. Our house was always spotless...mine is a wreck all the time. Buy she only had 2 kids. I have 4. I've been a SAHM for 9 1/2 years now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Both parents worked and we all have an amazing relationship. Always have. I work PT and feel that its good for a parent to have their own time other than while they are asleep. Im not working for that reason alone but for financial reasons. however its nice to have my alone time
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My mom worked. I had a sahd who was unable to work because of poor health. I'm currently a sahm, but am going to school online. My mom has always been my best friend.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I answered you in the other post so here's that response; lol:

My mom worked full time AND went to night school. I was quite a bit older than my sister and had to take on many of the 'mom' tasks. I feel like she and we missed out on a lot because she was either working; at school; studying; or had a headache...

I know my personality before kids when I worked 50+hrs/wk was erratic and extreme; that's not the mom (or memories) I wanted for my kids. So we made sure I could stay home with them. I didn't want those few hours a night spent with them to be full of stress and aggravation with me flipping out over not being able to find something stupid that is right in front of me because I'm overwhelmed.

I recognized my limits and made the appropriate call for us.
    Anonymous

• Congratulations on being able to stay home. In this day and age families are not always able to make a conscious choice. My mom had a small at home daycare until I was in 1st grade. At that age all of the kids in her care were in school at sometime during the day and she picked up a lunch lady job at my school. Sadly, when I was 11 my father died and my mom had to work full time. So, I guess I had a little of both. I have not been able to be a sahm. I would love to work only part time, but we are a 2 pay check family. Two full time jobs still don't cover all the bills all the time. I'm lucky to have a career I love and great people in my life to help keep my kids safe and healthy. Good luck
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 7:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My mom stayed home until my little brother started 1st grade, so I would have been in 6th grade at that time. My decision had nothing to do with hers. I became single again when my son was less than 2 years old and I'm a nurse and love my job. I work because I love it and I have to.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• my mom was a SAHM but she also ran a daycare outta her home..so yaa she was always around, as were anywhere from 3-6 kids as well..which was nice growing up because i always had someone to play with!! then when i was around 12 she got a job at starbucks, and has been there for the past 17 years. as for me, i would LOVE to be able to stay home with my daughter (5yrs now), but i am a single mom, so i dont really have a choice, i HAVE to work!! which i guess is sorta fine, because i really only get between 20-30 hrs a week, and i try to do most of my hours while my daughter is with her dad on weekends, or while shes in school..so it works out good. but, i do wish i could be home all the time!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My mother was and still is a career woman; she has always worked FT since before I was born. Luckily for both of us and my 2 sisters, neither of my grandmother's worked so what ended up happening is that my grandmother did a lot of the caretaking for myself and my sisters.

I now have twins and worked FT up through this summer and finally decided that I'm going to stay home until my kids are in middle school, then work PT. And I do realize that this is a blessing.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 7:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• She worked until we moved across country when i was 11 and she decided to stay at home. It lasted about 6 months before she became bored out of her mind on top of not knowing anyone and not having any family around before she went back to work. She actually got a really good job when she did go back and now makes more than my dad who was supporting the entire family after we moved. Her decision has nothing to do with mine other than the fact that like her, I'd be bored at home all day too, even with a young kid to look after.
    Anonymous

• My mom not only worked full time, but more than full time. And shifts like 3p-11p. My dad worked a normal 40 hour M-F 8-4 job. It never really bothered me at the time because that's how it always was. But any childhood memory I have typically is with my dad or my Gram. I'm not complaining, I had a wonderful childhood. My mother just wasnt a large part of it. I know that she did what she felt was right/best...But material things just arent as important to me as they are to her. To me, being with your kids is more important than having brand new things. So, yes, I choose to stay at home BECAUSE my mom worked. And I feel that both her and I and my sister missed out. I'm 23 and we have never ever been close because we never got to form a close relationship when I was a child. So...yeah.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009