How come we don't have to celebrate the sabbath? *CHRISTIANS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

I know we are under grace but why don't we celebrate sabbath? What did it symbolise that we no longer have to celebrate it just like the other feasts?

*I asked for christians ONLY because I had asked this question before and all I got was two women bickering and someone accusing me of trying to force her into doing it. So that is the only reason I asked for christians ONLY! So please act like adults and please help me with my question thank you.*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• popcorn

rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• From the earliest times, Christians have observed Sunday as the Lord's Day, which is distinguished from the Jewish Sabbath. Sabbath was the memorial of creation and God's rest on the seventh day; Sunday commemorates the new creation instituted by Christ's Resurrection on the first day of the week. While early Christians celebrated both Sabbath and Sunday -- mainly because the early Church included a significant number of Jews who had converted to Christianity -- as the Christian Church became predominantly Gentile, the observance of the Sabbath by Christians eventually ceased. So the commandment to observe the Sabbath has two aspects - an essential part to worship the Lord on one day per week and a ceremonial part as to the exact day. With the new covenant we're not bound by the ceremonial part - but we do keep the essental part - to worship the Lord.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• christian believe they no longer have to abide by anything in the old testament and they believe everything paul told them.
    Anonymous

• Because it's not about doing things like the sabbath. The Pharisees took it too far and we don't wan to be like them. It's about doing what you need to do to honor God love and grow in your walk with him.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Are you saying Paul is wrong?
    Anonymous

• OP~ So if a sabbath isn't necessary then why are christians today arguing over it? Why do people like the Seventh Day Adventists teach that Saturday is the true sabbath? I have been seeing stuff women write about the Seventh Day Adventists on here and went to see wha they are about. So far I feel *respectfully to those who are SDA* that they are wrong. They speak of a health message when the matter of food and drink is not an issue for our salvation and that the saturaday sabbath is god's seal. So just makes me wonder though how they follow it and put away what the scripture says.
    Anonymous

• OP~ There are also those christians out there that argue for sunday being the true sabbath. So agian why the argument if it doesn't matter?
    Anonymous

• As I understand it, our prophet got a vision of Sabbath from God. But as we study the bible today SDA's have found that Sabbath is still in effect. Also Ellen G White recieved a vision on a health message. the first one was NOT to eat pork. Then not to eat meat at all. Not that it's a matter of salvation, but EGW does say that once you know how meat effects you and still continue to eat it then you will not walk with Christ. Cause meat makes us grumpy and onery *SP?*. IT also increases your sexual appetite. God doesn't want us to be this way, plus our meat isn't that great for us. Meat spreads disease, it's not kept properly and the animals are diseased nowadays. Ellen was chosen by God to give us this last day message. We had lost our day and were going to church on Sunday instead of Saturday and were eating the unclean animals. We needed to be reminded.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• OP~ Wait meat effects how we act? Then why did God ever allow us to eat it? Also why did Jesus say that salvation wasn't a matter of food or drink IF we no longer walk with him if we eat it?!
    Anonymous

• Sunday is the Christian sabbath. It's just not generally the term used for the day. I grabbed a quick defnition of Sabbath for you :-)

Sabbath or a sabbath is generally a weekly day of rest and/or time of worship that is observed in Abrahamic religions and other faiths. Many viewpoints and definitions have arisen over the millennia. The term has been used to describe a similar weekly observance in any of several other traditions; the new moon; any of seven annual festivals in Judaism and some Christian traditions; any of eight annual festivals in Wicca (usually "sabbat"); an annual secular holiday; and a year of rest in religious or secular usage, originally every seventh year.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2009