how much do you think a 7-8 month old maltese

is worth? female, 8-10 pounds, no shot record and not fixed but potty trained. someone is asking $250 she seems healthy. has just a little cream on ears.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Frankly, it can depend on where you get the dog from. When it is a reputable breeder their show quality dogs tend to go for a higher price then a dog they consider pet quality. I would just be careful because you don't know this dogs history and people lie about this sort of thing all the time.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Pass. You can get them that are already fixed with all their shots, etc. from shelters (even puppies, a lot of times they bust puppy mills and have tons of them. in PA at least) for less than $100. Also, I would be leary of anyone who has not gotten shots for their 8 month old dog. Not only is that illegal, but irresponsible and it's hard to tell what else they are shady about. I wouldnt trust them. JMO
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• As a dog owner, I purchased $400 for a fawn colored chihuahua. That was 13 years ago. She is still healthy and still a part of our family. My dog has had at least 4 litters of puppies that I sold from prices ranging from $200-$300. I was responsible in giving the new owner, shot records, de-worming them and a $50 gift certificate to Pet Smart, as well as 1 bag of puppy chow,dog dish, and a booklet on the breed. One time I gave a puppy away to a family of 5 mom dad and 3 kids- for $100. They saw my ad for $250 and decided to negotiate when they got to my house. Anyway, I was sorry I did that. about 2 months later The father had the nerve to call me to see if I had anymore puppies because "Princess" got hit by a car while they were getting out of their car. I had the puppy for 8 weeks, and I have never cried so long and so hard after that. what i'm trying to say is that- don't be like that family.
    Anonymous

• If this dog was coming from a purebred rescue or reputable breeder i would not think twice about it but the fact that the dog is not up to date on shots and still a puppy makes me woner about the care it has receaved. I would pass on this one.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i would get her shots and all that since owner doesn't have anything but i'm still confused cause every other ads i see have them for no less then $350 and they are mostly new borns so i'd have to deal with potty training which i want to avoid. the shots i would get at dog pound so it's cheaper or from feed store, clinics. still confused though is this price to high or too low. i think it's priced right but i really don't know. i got my boxer for $50 from someone we knew. got my poodle from craig for $170 akc shots etc. just have no idea why maltese are worth so much cause standard poodles go for $1000 or up. accept for mine.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2009