Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My neighbor is a crack dealer, how do I get rid of him?

Any one have any suggestions?

My apartment manager will not evict him because he is "disabled" and she is afraid of a law suit, the police will not do a thing and believe me I call a lot. My husband and several other occupants have started taking pictures of his deals and now he's at odds with every single person in this complex of 15 units because they aren't "respecting his privacy" and it makes me nervous. We are saving up money to move but don't have enough yet. There are 5 units here, including ours, with young children.

How do we get this degenerate out? He's the only person in the complex who doesn't have a job or a moral back bone.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • I just left my job as an apartment complex manager. Your manager will not get a lawsuit. Instead of just calling the police call the drug/crime unit thats who you need to talk to. Do you have a neighborhood watch in your community? The police department if you speak to the correct person will do something. Your manager needs to get on top of this also. It's wrong and unfair. Where do you live? Check your lease and see if there is anything that says anything about crime. Call other apartment complex in your area and get some advise on the laws. I am sure you can get this taken care of.
    Best of luck

    Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • state police

    Answer by EireLass at 8:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • The cops will show up if they catch him in the act, n that's hard cuz when they get there...the buyer leaves.

    Answer by Vero0724 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • The police might be taking your calls seriously without telling you that. A lot of time if police get enough calls on a person they will start an undercover investigation to see what exactly is going on. Have all your neighbors call and report it. In the meantime, be careful watching this guy too closely and taking pictures, you don't need to be a part of that mess. One of his customers might see you taking pictures and freak out, you don't need that, especially with kids around. If you can write down license plate numbers without being obvious, you can give that information to the poice, but the safely of you and your family needs to be number 1. Good luck!

    Answer by MommyToTwo0408 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • Get those photos together and call the drug unit at the police station. If that doesn't help, get video of it, and take it to the media. You can do this anonymously. When the police feel the heat of the media, they will intervene. Make sure to mention the apartment managers so they get fired.

    Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • OP here,

    I have called the narcotics unit of the city police department. I called quite a bit because at one point he had a woman with a young son living with him, they no longer live there. I called CPS as well but I never heard anything come of that. I'll try the Texas state police but I'm not sure their jurisdiction crosses into the city limits on drug crimes? The media might be something I try to contact, I'm not sure if they will be interested in our 15 unit complex but I'll see!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • We had this similar problem in my neighborhood. Everyone on the block were self-respecting, hard-working people- Then there was this one HOUSE- "The CRACK HOUSE" no one did anything about it. Until my husband was videotaping the kids in the house one day, then got the idea to videotape the activity of the Crack house and all the comings and goings. It was like a CSI crime show or something! ANyway, after zooming in on the license plates and drug dealers, and gun activity, etc he had quite a bit of incriminating footage. We took it to the police and told them they had to do something about it. There was ALL the evidence they needed. Within days There was a RAID! The dealers were caught and arrested, and their hideouts and lookouts too! The house was Boarded up and even the people who probably weren't participating had to go right then and there! So keep doing what you are doing! We were not going to accept that!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • Anon 10:32- That is the best thing I have heard all day! I have posted this question in several forms inside and outside Cafemom and so far the worst I heard is that I'm picking on some defenseless disabled person and I'm a racist. (Don't really know how since we are of the same race but hey...?) I really hope that we can get his butt kicked out! Honestly if we can we might stay here as he is the main reason we are moving. The neighbor he shares a wall with mentioned to my husband this morning that he can smell the crack when he smokes or cooks it and the neighbor has a 6 year old son. =( This is not a good situation at all! I know I can smell it in the commons area sometime.

    Everyone else in the complex is good friends. We help each other out, we BBQ together, we hang out on the weekends in the commons area together, etc... This guy is a cancer on the complex and our neighborly love.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • start going up your chain of command. call the police, city concil, the mayor, state senator, state resprestative. just start making a lot of noise about it in your community. go to the hospital and have your family checked out to make sure that its not affecting you all and ask to speak with a councilor there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • Anon 11:59 - My husband just took your idea and ran with it last night. He e-mailed all the pictures and written statements to the owner of the building. This morning the manager called my husband and asked why he went over her head. My hubby told her that she already knew of the problem and thought that the owner should too. lol. I'm sure she had already got an earful from the apartment owner. I'm going to collect more evidence before I start going up the police chain of command. I want to make sure they don't dismiss me for not providing enough hard proof.

    I have been reading up on laws concerning this in Texas and so far I have come across as long as the apartment manager has reasonable susiption of drug activity she can evict him. He doesn't have to get cough by the law or anything. I called the cops this AM when he went to the street to do a drug deal but the police didn't arrive in time to catch him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.