Unexplained allerigc reaction

My son has broken out in hives, and I have no clue what has caused it. We have been inside all day, he hasn’t been exposed to anything new like soap or food. I gave him a bath and about 30 mins. later we were eating supper and he is covered in hives!?! I would feel much better if I knew what caused it but I have racked my brain and nothing. The soap I used has been the soap I have always used and we were eating something we eat almost weekly, and he hasnt been on any meds. Has this ever happened to you?

candace71306

Asked by candace71306 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• bad milk?
    Anonymous

• no he hasnt had milk since this morning and it wasnt bad but thanks anyway
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Did he start getting hives in the bath ? Sometimes people get hives from water or from being cold.

I get the cold hives.
    Anonymous

• I did have this issue with my DD, I know you said nothings changed...but even something as simple as the scent in the wash, shampoo, laundry detergent, new washcloth or clothes maybe? Kids skin is so sensitive really anything can cause it. We were convinced that our DD got it from teething because we did the same thing-racked our brain and couldn't come up with anything. Turns out our dryer sheets were a different scent. DH bought them and we didn't even realize!!
    Anonymous

• An allergy can develop at anytime for any reason. Even foods or soaps that have been used for years. It could also be from something in the air. I break out in hives from grass, hamsters/gerbils. I don't even have to hold them, I just have to walk by and I break out. I also break out in hives from allergens that are floating in the air.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• it may be cold urticaria. it's an allergic reaction to cold and temperature change. my husband has this condition, and it gets worse around this time of year when the weather gets colder. it presented as hives when he was in kindergarten and by the time he was a teen it progressed to anaphylaxis. it's not a common allergy at all, but worth looking into.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It's a food allergy. You need to think about what he's been eating. It's really hard to narrow down food allergies. I thought I was allergic to flour because I had problems with breads, but after I was tested I found out that I'm allergic to soy which was an ingredient in the brands of bread I was buying.

Hives is a very bad reaction. Food allergies should be taken very seriously. You need to schedule an appointment with an allergist right away and get him tested...definitely make sure they test for foods, you usually have to ask for food testing separately.

Also, food allergic reactions don't always happen right away. Food allergic responses can occur anywhere from immediately after eating the food all the way to up to 48 hours after eating it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• this hasn't happened with my kids but it happened to me when I was about 25. I had been using the same stuff forever. Turns out I developed an allergy to the laundry detergent---same scent and brand that I had used as long as I can remember (same stuff my Mom used when I was growing up). Just out of the after a shower one day I got dried and dressed and started itching, turned out to be the laundry detergent (even though the day before I was fine!). Could be ANYTHING.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I wanted to echo everything thrivingmom said. That is my same experience with my son and his food allergies. Remember, they may get hives on the outside but could have been experiencing something on the inside that wasn't visible to you for a while. :( I hope you can figure it out. There is a lot of trial and error at the beginning. Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 5:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2009