Have You Ever Heard This Idea Before?

I heard this idea on the news a while back, it had never occurred to me, but it certainly seems like a good idea. The suggestion was that every day before leaving the house you should take a picture of each of your children with your cell phone. In an emergency situation should your child disappear, you would have a picture of what they look like that very day. They went on to say that very often current pictures are not to be had in missing child cases, the most recent photo is usually from a big occasion (often many months earlier), and typically the child would not look like they normally would because of being dressed up, etc. I was curious if anyone had heard this idea before.... does anyone practice this? Having heard this idea now, would you begin doing this?

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 8:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• That does seem like a good idea, but mornings are too hectic for most people to do it religiously.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I really have never thought of this. But I am the type of person that always has a camera at close range, I usually take a pic of my son at least every other day. My SO says I should have been professional photographer since I like taking pics so much.
    I think I might do this. it really is a good idea.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• We take a lot of pics, whether its in the yard, or on a weekend trip so I always have tons of recent pics. Our kids school takes their pic and sends home ID cards at the beginning of the yr. I keep them in my purse a long with other favorite pics I have of them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I usually take pics of my son every week, whether it be just around the house playing or out in the yard. We do alot of weekend events and trips so I always have my camera because I love scrapbooking and photography. I always have recent pics of my son. I don't think this is a bad idea but if you take pics regularly and they are in everyday life and not a staged set then I think that would be sufficient enough.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I am a SAHM. Wo don't go out often. When we do go someplace big, I do take their pictures on my cell phone. The pictures show what they look like, how their hair is fixed, and what their clothes look like. I had heard this before and thought it was a great idea. If there are any birthmarks or scars, it is a good idea to get pictures of those as well.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I have and I do it. We have new iphones and we take a picture to update for emergencies. My son is at risk to be taken so it is important that we always have an updated photo. Not to mention his hair is drastically different every two to four weeks.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Frogdawg....

At risk to be taken?? How so? Are we missing something?
    Anonymous

• I havent heard it before...but i kind of already do it.... We dont go out alot...but when we do I usually take their pics because they look cute ( i usually spend more time on my daughters hair or put more effort in their clothes, then when we are just staying in the house ) ...

Hopefully I can keep up with that habbit when they start school
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• sounds good but to much work i always have my camera on handso i have photos of them only a day or two apart but great idea also fingerprint and get dental records call local police for a kids packet
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2009